« ПредишнаНапред »
JUVENILE and SCHOOL LIBRARY,
157, NEW BOND STREET,
THE following APPROVED and CLASSICAL ELEMEN
TARY BOOKs lave lately been published for the USE of YOUNG PERSONS of both Sexes. The Dejign of the authors kas been to render them interesting and complete, on the several Suljeels, clasical and correet in their Style and Arrangement, and of a Size and Price suited to the business of Tutors, and to the @conmical views of Parents.
1. CLASSICAL ENGLISH POETRY, for the Use of Schools, and Young Pertons of both Sexes; selected from the b-st Authors, with a Pretice, indicating the several Species of Poetry, and the best Mode of Recitation. By Dr. MAVOR and Mr. I'RATT, Author of Sympathy, &c. &c.; intended as a Sequel to Mils ilkin's Patry for Children. Price 48. od. in Prirds, or s. liound.
It is remarkable that, till this Work, there did not exist, in the English Language, any chaste and unexceptionable Collection of the Gems of British Poetry, which could with contence be put into the hands of Youth of both Sexes, and which it the same time united the neceflary requisites of 20.tity and chepness. The present Volume, it is believed, will fipply this cieficiency, and be adopted at once as a School-Book in our respectable Seminaries, and as a part of the Library of every private Family.
72. THE BRITISH NEFOS, or MIRROR of YOUTH; being select Lives of ILLUSTRIOUS BRITONS, who have been distinguished by their Virtues, Talents, or remarkable Advanement in Life, with incidental practical Reflections; written purposel; for the Use of Young Persons, on the obvious principle,--that Exuntle is nior: yowerful and more sedic
tive than Precept. By WILLIAM MAVOR, LL.D. Vicar of Hurley, in Berkthire, and Chaplain to the Earl of Dumfries. Price 4. od bound.'
3. THE LIVES of PLUTARCH, abridged, containing Ac. counts of all the most illustrious and eltimable Characters of Antiquity; by, THE SAME AUTHOR. Price 4s. 6d, bound.
4. SCRIPTURE BIOGRAPHY, for the Use of Schools and Moral Families, containing the lives and Actions of all the principal Characters in the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT, with practical Inference, adapted to real life, and designed to promote the Imitation of those illustrious Examples. By JOHN WATKINS, A.M. LL.D. Price ss. bound.
5. THE JUVENILE PLUTARCH confifting of the Lives of Extraordinary Children, and of Accounts of the Infancy anii early Progress of illustrious Men, interided to stimulate by Exainple. Price zs. bourd.
6. AN UNIVERSAL and COMPLETE SYSTEM OF SHORT HAND WRITING; being the same which has been adopted by the Editors of the Fincyclopædia Britannica, and which is used in the Courts of Litw in the Metropolis. By WILLIAM MAVOR, LL). Filih Edition, price 7s.60.
7. Ą COMPLETE and COMPREHENSIVE DICTIONARY of MUSIC; being an indispensable Coupanion to every Harpsichord, and to every Amateur and Student in Muíc. By THOMAS BUSBY, Mus D. and LL. D. Price 6s. in boards
8. THE ELEMENTS of ENGLISH COMPOSITION; containing plain and practical Directivos for Writing the English Language with Eafe, Perspicu!ly and Elegance; and designed, in the progrel's of Education, immediately to fuc. ceed to the Study of the varicus Englifo Grammars, and of the Latin and Greek Classics By DAVID IRVING, A. M. Price 4s. in boards, or 45. 60. bound.
9. NATURAL HISTORY, founded on the Linnzan Arrangement, with popular and entertaining Descriptioss, in the Manner of Goldsmith and Buffon ; embellithed with Forty-fix Copper-plates, representing One Hundred and Sixty- fix of the moit curious Obje&is. By the AUTHOR OF the BRITISH NEPOS. Price 5s, bound
10. The same, with the Plates beautifully coloured, and elegantly bound, prioc 125. ;
11. VISITS to the MENAGERIE and the BOTANICAL GARDEN at PARIS, containing a rapid and very pleasing tiew of animated Nature, adapted to the capacities of Children,translated from the French of L. F. Jauffret. Price 25:60. neatly half-bound.
12. THE ELEMENTS OF POLITE EDUCATION; containing all the valuable and unexceptionable Information in the Letters of the late LORD CHESTERFIELD TO HIS SON, selected and arranged by GEORGE GREGORY,D. D. Author of The (Economy of Nature, and other Works. Price 4s. 6d. bonnd.
13. On the first Day of every Month is published a Volume of --An UNIVERSAL HISTORY, ANTIENT and MO. DERN, from the Creation of the World to the Peace between France and England in 1802 ; to be completed in Twenty-five small Volúmes. By WILLIAM MAVOR, LL. D. Author of the British Nepos, &c. &c. Price 5s each Volume in boards, or 55. 60. half-bound; or upon small and conmon paper, price 38. gd. in boards, or 45. half-bound. N. B. The Antient History may be had complete in 9 vols. and the Modern in 16 vols.
14. A HISTORY of GREECE, from the EARLIEST PE. RIODS, till its REDUCTION into a ROMAN PROVINCE. Intende i principally for the Use of Schools, and Young Perfons of both Sexes. By WILLIAM MAVOR, LL.D. În Two Volumes, royal 18mo, with Engravings, and a correct Map, price ros. in boards, iis. half bound, or 125. handsomely bound and lettered.
15. THE HISTORY OF ROME, from the Foundation of the City till the Termination of the Eastern Empire. By WILLIAM MAVOR, LL.D. In Three Volumes, roval 18mo. Price 15s. in boards, illustrated with Maps and Prints.
16. MAVOR’S HISTORY of FRANCE and NAVARRE, on fine paper, price 5s.6d. bound.
17. The same on common paper, price 45. 6d. bound.
18. MAVOR'S HISTORY of AMERICA, fine paper, price 5s 6d. bound,
19 The fame, on common paper, price 4s. 6d. bound. 20. MAVOR'S H STORY of SCOTLAND, 5s. (d. bound. 21. The same, on common paper, price 4s. 6d. bound. 22. GEOGRAPHY for the USE of SCHOOLS, on a plan fo
practical to Teachers, and so highly fascinating to Punils, that it cannoe fail to recommend itself to universal adoptiolie the moment it is seen. By the Rev. J. GOLDSMITH, A. M. Vicar of Dunnington, and formerly of Trinity College, Cambridge. Price :os. 6d. bound and lettered, decorated" with Fifty-six beautiful and interefing Copper-plates, repre.. senting the Manners, Customs, and Dretres, of all Nations, and illustrated with new and improved Maps.
23. AN EASY GRAMMAR OF GEOGRAPHY, intended as a Companion and Introduction to the above, by the fame Author, illustrated with Maps, price 28. 6. neatly I bound.
24. AN ENGLISH SPELLING-BOOK, accompanied by a progreflive Series of easy and familiar Leffons, in the manner of BARBAULD, TRIMMER, EDGEIVORTH, ) BER QUIN, &c. intended as a modern and improved Intro duction to the English Language, and to the first Flements
of Knowledge. By WILLIAM MAVOR, IL D. Price of · eighteen pence bound, with a liberal allowance to perions who purchate them by the dozen or hundred.
25. THE BOOK of TRADES; or, Library of the useful Arts ; illustrated with 60 copper-plates, in three parts, price 3s. each part, or 5s. for each part with the plates coloured: either part to be had separately.
26. A VISIT to A FARM HOUSE; or, An Introduce tion to various Subjects connected with Rural (Economy: with several beautiful engraved plates, price 2s. 6d. handsomely half-bound.
27. TABART's Collection of POPULAR STORIES, adorned with elegant plates, by eminent Artists, in tlıreo parts; price of each part 28 6d. handsomely half-hound, or with the places beautifully coloured, s. 64. each pait: 1
The first part contains,-Whittington and his Cat: the Children in the Wood; Peronella; Fortunatus ;. Griselda :" the White Cat; ind Robin Hood.
The second part contains,- Little Red Riding-hool; Toads 4 and Diamonds; Blue Beard ; Pots in Boots; the Sleeping Beauty in the Wood; Cinderella; Riquet with the Tuft; Hop-o-my Thumb; Beauty and the Beast ; and Fortunio.
The third part contains, Jack the Giant Killer; TomV Thumb; Goody Two Shoes; Tommy Two Shoes; the Se 4
bilo ven Champions of Christendom ; Valentine and Orson : in Prince Fatal and Prince Fortune; and the Three Withes. bl. 28. The WONDERS of the MICROSCOPE, a very cuse, rious book, adorned with several large plates, price 25. 6d. Fred 29. The WONDERS of the TELESCOPE, with many se plates, price 28. 6d. mus, 30. The TRAVELS of ROLANDO round the WORLD.
with many beautiful engravings, 4 vols. price 12s. half Eed bound. the 31. The HISTORY of CARLO; the famous Dog of El Drury lane, with his portrait, and several other plates,
beautifully engraved, price 28. 64. neatly half-bound.“ by 32. PUZZLE for a CURIOUS GIRL, adorned with 12 be beautiful vignettes, price 25. 6d. half-bound, with roan H, backs. Da 33. PRESENTS for GOOD GIRLS, adornod with nuD1% merous coloured engravings, consisting of words chiefly of Le one fyllable, price is is 34. PRESENTS for GOOD BOYS, on the same plan, is.
35. A TOUR through ENGLAND, defcribed in a le. sul ries of letters from a young gentleman to his sister, illuEce itrated with fix views and a map, price 3s. 6d, half-bound, d: 26. UNIVERSAL HISTORY, abridged from Dr. Mavor's
valuable work, for the use of children and schools, halfuc bound, with 2 maps, price 25. 6d.
i 37. The HISTORY OF BRITISH QUADRUPEDS, with ndo many plates, price 29 6d.
38. The HISTORY of BRITISH. BIRDS, with many LES plates, price is 6d. cres 39. DIALOGUES for GOOD CHILDREN, by M. P.
43. DICTIONARY of POLITE LITERATURE, z vots. tone with many beautiful plaies, price 135. in boards. cias 41. A French and English PRIMER, price 9d.
42. FIRST going to SCHOOL ; or, the History of Tom madis Brown and his sisters, by M. P. price 25. 60. into 43. The JUVENILE LIBRARY; or, Complete Course of Hij Instructions in every Branch of Polite and Useful Literature,
o vols. price two guineas in boards. om ' 44. MEMOIRS of DICK the little PONEY, price 25. 6d.
45. MAR Y
sa price is.