« ПредишнаНапред »
PROSE and VERSE, &c.
ODE on the Glories of the Heavens. ADDISON,
THE spacious Firmament on high,
With all the blue ætherial Sky,
2. Soon as the Evening Shades prevail,
'The Moon takes up the wond'rous Tale,
3. What though, in folemn Silence, all
Move round the dark terrestrial Ball!
DAVID's. Pastoral HYMN on PROVIDENCE,
HE LORD my
prepare, And feed me with a Shepherd's Care : His Presence shall my Wants supply, And guard me with a watchful Eye; My Noon-day Walks he shall attend, And all my Mid-night Hours defend.
2. When in the fultry Glebe I faint,
Or on the thirsty Mountains pant;
3. Tho' in the Paths of Death I tread,
With gloomy Horrors overspread,
4. Tho' in a bare and rugged Way,
Through devious lonely Wilds I stray,
HYMN on GRATITUDE.
HEN all thy Mercies, O my God!
My rising Soul furveys; Transported with the View, I'm lost
In Wonder, Love, and Praise :
2. O how shall Words with equal Warmth
The Gratitude declare
But Thou canst read it there.
3. Thy Providence my Life sustain'd,
And all my Wants redrest,
And hung upon the Breaft.
4. To all my weak Complaints and Cries,
Thy Mercy lent an Ear,
To form themselves in Pray'r.
5. Unnumber'd Comforts to my Soul.
Thy tender Care bestow'd,
6. When in the flipp'ry Paths of Youth
With heedless Steps I ran,
And led me up to Man.
7. Through hidden Dangers, Toils, and Deaths,
It gently clear'd my Way,
More to be fear'd than they.
8. When worn with Sickness, oft hast thou With Health renew'd
Reviv'd my Soul with Grace.
9. Thy bounteous Hand with worldly Bliss
Has made my Cup run o’er,
Has doubled all my Store.
10. Ten thousand thousand precious Gifts
My daily Thanks employ;
That tastes those Gifts with Joy.
11. Through every Period of my Life
Thy Goodness I'll pursue ;
The glorious Theme renew.
12. When Nature fails, and Day and Night
Divide thy Works no more,