Графични страници
PDF файл

3. For licensing the militia for a given period. 4. For the removal of the European troops to Lisbon. In consequence of these orders, the election of the members of the Junta took place on the 26th, when the choice, as might have been expected, sell principally upon the native Brazilians. The following are the names of the members:— Gerevazio Peres Ferreira, president. Padre Laurentino, secretary. Bento Jose da Costa. Felippe Neri Ferreira. Dr. Padre, M. J. De Carvalho, vicar-general. Antonio Jose Victoriano. Joaquim Jose de Miranda. Senhor de Ingenio de Santa Rosa. Of these, Da Costa is the only European: the rest are all said to be Brazilians by birth, and connected directly or indirectly, with the insurrection of 1817. The turn the election had taken created so much disgust in the Portuguese, that nearly all the families of respectability were preparing to quit Pernambuco, either for Lisbon or for Bahia. It is ascribed, however, solely to the dislike entertained for the men newly raised to power, and not to any apprehensions of disturbance, that this step was taken. The governor sailed on the 26th for Europe, in compliance with the order for his recall; and another vessel also left the port on the same day, with eighty Portuguese passengers on board, for the same destination. Respecting the removal of the troops, nothing had been done; but it was expected they would be shipped for Bahia as soon as a body of native troops could be organi

zed for the protection of the government. These proceedings of the Portuguese government, as regards Pernambuco, have placed the province in an extremely cri. tical state; since, by removing all restraints on the disaffected, who were before numerous, they have left it solely to the discretion of the inhabitants, whether they would retain or shake off their dependence with the mother country. NEW SouTH WA LPs. Sydney, June 9th. Just as captain Raine was on the eve of leaving Valparaiso for this part of the world once more, he was informed of a most marvellous affair relating to an American whaler, that had been attacked by a whale at sea in so violent and dreadful a manner as to occasion the vessel to founder, and most of the crew eventually to perish ; something of whose disastrous history we have been favoured with, and shall present the same to our readers. Captain Raine received information that there were three men on Ducie's Island, who had preferred remaining there rather than venture across the ocean in a boat, to which the crew had been compelled to fly from the ship. The boat, to which these three men belonged, had been picked up by an American whaler, about sixty days after the melancholy occurrence. Another boat, in which was the captain and the remainder of the crew, soon parted company, and were also fallen in with by another whaler of America, which vessel was the bearer of the intelligence to Valparaíso; and the horrible account given by

the two survivors in this boat was truly

truly deplorable and shuddering. They had been ninety days at sea before they were fallen in with, and had experienced the most dreadful of all human vicissitudes: from the extremity of hunger, they had been reduced to the painful necessity of killing and devouring each other, in order to sustain a wretched life, that was hourly expected to be terminated. Eight times had lots been drawn, and eight human beings had been sacrifiedd, to afford sustenance to those that remained; and, on the day the ship encountered them, the captain and the boy had also drawn lots and it had been thus determined that the poor boy should die. But, providentially, a ship hove in sight and took them in, and they were restored to existence. Doleful in the extreme as it is to hear such things, and painful as it is to relate them, it is nevertheless asserted as a fact by captain Raine, that the fingers and other fragments of their deceased companions were in the pockets of the captain and the boy when taken on board the whaler. The commander of the Surrey beeoming opportunely acquainted with those painful and distressing circumstances, humanely determined on calling at Ducie's Island, and be instrumental in restoring three unfortunate fellowcreatures to society, and very possibly rescue them from a miserable end, particularly as this island was no great distance out of his tract from Valparaíso to New Holland. On Thursday, the 5th of April, captain Raine, considering himself within a very short distance of Ducie's Island, which is lain down in Norie's Epitome to be in lat. 24 deg. 40 min. S.

[ocr errors]

and long. 124 deg. 37 min. W. kept a good look-out. At about two p. m. land was perceived, which turned out to be an island in lat. 24 deg. 26 min. As the vessel neared the land, a gun was discharged, and shortly after the three poor men were seen to issue forth from the woods. The boats were presently lowered, captain Raine taking one himself. On approaching the shore, it was found not only dangerous but utterly impracticable, to land, of which circumstance they were informed, in weak and tremulous voices, by the almost starved and nearly worn-out creatures themselves, who could scarcely from the miserable plight they were in, articulate a syllable. One poor fellow summoned up courage to plunge into the waves, and with great difficulty reached the boat, he said one of the others only could swim. After warily backing in the boat as near the rocks as possible, amidst a heavy surf, they succeeded in getting on board, much bruised and lacerated by repeated falls; which object was no sooner effected, than each devoutly expressed his gratitude to that benign Being, who had so wonderfully preserved them from sharing in the destruction to which their unhappy shipmates had fallen victims. These men are now with captain Raine, and declare their names to be Thomas Chappel, William Wright, and Seth Weeks; and the following is the account they gave of the distressing circumstance, which we feel no hesitation in declaring may be numbered with one of those events that are without a parallel in the history of man. They sailed from Nantucket in the American ship

Essex, Essex, of two hundred and sixty tons. G. Pollard, master, on the 19th of August, 1819, on a whaling voyage; they arrived in the South Seas, where they were pretty fortunate, having succeeded in procuring 750 barrels of oil, and were in the latitude of 47 deg. south, and long. 118 west, when the accident happened, which was on the 13th November, 1820. On that day they were among whales, and the three boats were lowered down : the mate's boat got stove, and had returned to the ship to be repaired. Shortly after a whale of the largest class struck the ship, and knocked part of the false keel off, just abreast of the main channels. The animal then remained for some time along-side, endeavouring to clasp the ship with her jaws, but could not accomplish it; she then turned, went round the stern, and came up on the other side, and went away a head about a quarter of a mile, and then suddenly turning, came at the ship with tremendous velocity, head on. The vessel was going at the rate of five knots, but such was the force when she struck the ship, which was under the cat-head, that the vessel had stern-way, at the rate of three or four knots; the consequence was, that the sea rushed into the cabin windows, every man on deck was knocked down, and worse than all, the bows were stove completely in, and in avery few minutes the vessel filled, and went on her beam ends. At

this unhappy juncture, the captain and second mate were fast to a whale each; but on beholding the awful catastrophe that had taken place, immediately cut from the fish, and made for the ship. By cutting away the masts, the vessel righted; the upper deck was then scuttled; and some water and bread were procured for the two boats, in which they were compelled to remain, as all thoughts of saving the ship were given up. In expectation of falling in with some vessel, they remained three days by the wreck, making sails, &c. but were compelled at length to abandon it, and stood away to the southward, in hopes of getting the variable winds and experiencing fine weather; but the wind being constantly from the east and east south east, they made much lee-way, and were prevented from keeping to the southward; in consequence of which, on the 20th of December, they made the island from which captain Raine took them, and which was taken for Ducie's Island, at which place the boats remained one week; but the island affording hardly any nourishment, in fact exhibiting nothing but sterility, they resolved on venturing for the coast, leaving behind them the three men now on board the Surrey, with whose sufferings, and those of their shipmates, we are by this opportunity favoured with an account; and certainly they are poignant in the extreme.


THE long anticipated and much welcomed visit of the king to Ireland will not soon be forgotten. George the fourth is the first British monarch who has set foot upon the island but in arms—the first, with the exception of James the second, who did not land to make war upon the Irish nation, and whose march was not commemorated by famine and devastation. This, we trust, will hereafter be fixed in the remembrance of the people of Ireland, as one of the occasions on which the display of national attachment to a monarch was no less just than generous; and that his majesty will, at length, effect for that much-injured people, all that his own heart impels him to desire for their benefit.

On Tuesday, the 31st, his majesty left London for Portsmouth, where he arrived in the afternoon at half past five in his travelling carriage, accompanied by lord Graves, and Mr. Watson, his majesty's private secretary, escorted by a party of the 10th hussars; every preparation had previously been made to receive his majesty in this garrison with all the parade possible; the streets were lined with troops, and the naval and military officers in their dress uniforms, and regimentals, waited his arrival. On his reaching the outer barrier, a salute was fired from the bastions, and lieutenantgeneral sir George Cooke, K.C.B. attended by all his staff, presented the keys of the garrison, which

were graciously accepted and returned. His majesty rode slowly down the streets to the waterside, through the lines of soldiers, who presented arms; on his reaching the point of embarkation, he alighted, and was received by admiral sir J. Hawkins Whitshed, K. C. B. and the captains of the squadron: the honourable sir C. Paget handed his majesty into the royal barge, and on the standard being hoisted the squadron fired a royal salute, as well as the platform; in a few minutes he reached the Royal George yacht, which had, for his better convenience, been brought into the harbour. On the yacht's hoisting the standard, a second salute was fired by the squadron, and the captains commanding ships in the port were severally presented, and his majesty then retired to dress for dinner. Six private yachts followed the king, determined to accompany his majesty to Dublin. They were the yachts of Mr. Thomas Smith, the honourable Mr. C. Pelham, Mr. Vernon, Mr. Williams, Mr. Maxey, and Lord Anglesea. After sailing round the Land'send, the royal squadron anchored at Holyhead. The first beacon was fired at seven o'clock on Monday evening, Aug. 4th, the royal squadron being then ten miles off. The inhabitants were animated by the greatest enthusiasm. At twelve o'clock the royal yacht anchored in the harbour; harbour; tidings were conveyed with the speed of lightning through the town; at one, every house in the town was lighted with candies. Until two o'clock, it was understood that his majesty would sail for Dublin at four in the afternoon, chiefly grounded on the following letter, in answer to one from sir J. Stanley, the principal magistrate 2– “His majesty's yacht Royal George, Holyhead-bay, Aug. 6. “My dear sir, I have communicated to the king the senti. ments of loyalty and devotion which are contained in your letter, and in the address which accompanied it; and I am commanded by his majesty to signify to the magistrates, clergy, freeholders, and other inhabitants of Holyhead and its neighbourhood, that he duly appreciates the kind expressions of attachment manifested towards him on the present occasion; and that though, from circumstances, he is at this moment prevented from landing, that his majesty fully purposes, upon his return from Ireland, to pay a visit to the always loyal and dutiful island of Anglesea. “I am, my dear sir, your faithful humble servant, “CHARLEs PAGET.” “To sir John Stanley, bart.” But at two o'clock, P. M. the announcement was made, that his majesty would land; and immediately the beach and all the avenues leading to it were thronged with spectators. At five o'clock his majesty landed on the pier, amid a royal salute from two pieces of ordnance planted before the customhouse, and the ships of the squadron. Immediately upon his land

ing on the pier, sir John Stanley, accompanied by a deputation of the inhabitants, presented his majesty an address of congratulation on his arrival, to which his majesty answered:— “That he received with peculiar leasure this affectionate and oyal address of a principality, the title of which he had borne o: so long a portion of his ife.” The spectators cheered his majesty in the most enthusiastic manner. The carriage of the marquis of Anglesea was in attendance, and his majesty set off for the marquis's seat, followed by several other carriages, and by a procession of the people at least a mile long. His majesty was detained by adverse winds till the 12th. On Thursday evening the 6th, the king's messenger brought the intelligence of the queen's dissolution. Every person on board his majesty's and the other yachts, as well as the ships of war, appeared to feel it their duty to recollect that the queen of England had ceased to be an object of party feeling. His majesty ordered mourning, and the usual marks of respect with regard to the lowering of flags, &c. were paid by his majesty's yachts, the various ships of war, and the private yachts. When the king's messenger arrived, announcing the death of the queen, he proceeded instantly to the king's yacht. Lord Londonderry happened to be on the deck; and when the messenger appeared, it was notified to his lordship. He instantly proceeded towards the messen: ger, who handed to him a red morocco box, containing the despatches

« ПредишнаНапред »