« ПредишнаНапред »
hind them, they saw, and, behold, the smoke the Levites, which bare the ark of the coof the city ascended up to heaven, and they venant of the LORD, as well the stranger as had no power to flee this way or that way: he that was born among them: half of them and the people that fled to the wilderness over against mount Gerizim; and half of turned back upon the pursuers.
them over against mount Ebal; as Moses 21. And when Joshua and all Israel saw the servant of the LORD had commanded that the ambush had taken the city, and before, that they should bless the people of that the smoke of the city ascended, then Israel. they turned again, and slew the men of Ai. 34. And afterward he read all the words
22. And the other issued out of the city of the law, the blessings and cursings, acagainst them; so they were in the midst of cording to all that is written in the book of Israel, some on this side, and some on that the law. side: and they smote them, so that they let 35. There was not a word of all that none of them remain or escape.
Moses commanded which Joshua read not 23. And the king of Ai they took alive, before all the congregation of Israel, with and brought him to Joshua.
the women, and the little ones, and the stran24. And it came to pass, when Israel had gers that were conversant among them. made an end of slaying all the inhabitants
CHAP. IX. of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein 1 The kings combine against Israel. 3 The Gibeonites, they chased them, and when they were all
by crafi, obtain a league. fallen on the edge of the sword, until they 1. ND it came to pass, when all the kings were consumed, that all the Israelites return- which were on this side Jordan, in the ed unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the hills, and in the valleys, and in all the coasts sword.
of the great sea over against Lebanon, the 25. And so it was, that all that fell that Hittite, and the Amorite, the Canaanite, day, both of men and women, were twelve the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite, thousand, even all the men of Ai.
heard thereof, 26. For Joshua drew not his hand back, 2. That they gathered themselves togethwherewith he stretched out the spear, until er, to fight with Joshua and with Israel, he had utterly destroyed all the inhabitants with one accord.
3. And when the inhabitants of Gibeon 27. Only the cattle and the spoil of that heard what Joshua had done unto Jericho city, Israel took for a prey unto themselves, and to Ai, according unto the word of the LORD, which 4. They did work wilily, and went and he commanded Joshua.
made as if they had been ambassadors; and 28. And Joshua burnt Ai, and made it a took old sacks upon their asses, and wineheap for ever, even a desolation, unto this bottles, old, and rent, and bound
5. And old shoes and clouted upon their 29. And the king of Ai he hanged on a feet, and old garments upon them; and all tree until even-tide: and as soon as the sun the bread of their provision was dry and was down, Joshua commanded that they mouldy. should take his carcass down from the tree, 6. And they went to Joshua unto the camp and cast it at the entering of the gate of the. at Gilgal, and said unto him, and to the men city, and raise thereon a great heap of of Israel, We be come from a far country: stones, that remaineth unto this day. now therefore make ye a league with us.
30. I Then Joshua built an altar unto the 7. And the men of Israel said unto the Lord God of Israel in mount Ebal, Hivites, Peradventure ye dwell among us;
31. As Moses the servant of the LORD and how shall we make a league with you ? commanded the children of Israel, as it is 8. And they said unto Joshua, We are written in the book of the law of Moses, thy servants. And Joshua said unto them, An altar of whole stones, over which no man Who are ye ? and from whence come ye? hath lifted up any iron: and they offered 9. And they said unto him, From a very thereon burnt-offerings unto the LORD, and far country thy servants are come, because sacrificed peace-offerings.
of the name of the LORD thy God: for we 32. And he wrote there upon the stones have heard the fame of him, and all that he a copy of the law of Moses, which he wrote did in Egypt, in the presence of the children of Israel. 10. And all that he did to the two kings
33. And all Israel, and their elders, and of the Amorites that were beyond Jordan, officers, and their judges, stood on this side to Sihon king of Heshbon, and to Og king the ark and on that side, before the priests of Bashan, which was at Ashtaroth.
12 The sun and moon
11. Wherefore our elders and all the in- | from before you, therefore we were sore nabitants of our country spake to us, say- afraid of our lives because of you, and have ing, 'Take victuals with you for the journey, done this thing. and go to meet them, and say unto them, 25. And now, behold, we are in thine We are your servants: therefore now make hand: as it seemeth good and right unto ye a league with us.
thee to do unto us, do. 12. This our bread we took hot for our 26. And so did he unto them, and deliprovision out of our houses on the day we vered them out of the hand of the children came forth to go unto you; but now, behold, of Israel, that they slew them not. it is dry, and it is mouldy:
27. And Joshua made them that day hewa 13. And these bottles of wine, which we ers of wood and drawers of water, for the filled, were new; and, behold, they be rent: congregation and for the altar of the LORD, and these our garments and our shoes are even unto this day, in the place which he become old by reason of the very long jour- should choose. ney.'
CHAP. X. 14. And the men took of their victuals, 5 Five kings war against Gibeon. and asked not counsel at the mouth of the
stand still at the word of Joshua. LORD.
1. TOW it came to pass, when Adoni15. And Joshua made peace with them, zedek king of Jerusalem had heard and made a league with them, to let them how Joshua had taken Ai, and had utterly live: and the princes of the congregation destroyed it; as he had done to Jericho and sware unto them.
her king, so he had done to Ai and her 16. And it came to pass, at the end of king; and how the inhabitants of Gibethree days, after they had made a league on had made peace with Israel, and were with them, that they heard that they were among them; their neighbours, and that they dwelt among 2. That they feared greatly, because Gi. them.
beon was a great city, as one of the royal 17. And the children of Israel journey- cities, and because it was greater than Ai, ed, and came unto their cities on the third and all the men thereof were mighty. day. Now their cities were Gibeon, and 3. Wherefore Adoni-zedek king of JeruChephirah, and Beeroth, and Kirjath-jearim. salem sent unto Hoham king of Hebron, and
18. And the children of Israel smote them unto Piram king of Jarmuth, and unto Janot, because the princes of the congregation phia king of Lachish, and unto Debir king had sworn unto them by the LORD God of of Eglon, saying, Israel. And all the congregation murmur- 4. Come up unto me, and help me, that ed against the princes.
we may smite Gibeon: for it hath made 19. But all the princes said unto all the peace with Joshua and with the children congregation, We have sworn unto them of Israel, . by the LORD God of Israel: now, therefore, 5. Therefore the five kings of the Amowe may not touch them.
rites, the king of Jerusalem, the king of He20. This we will do to them; we will even bron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of La. let them live; lest wrath be upon us, because chish, the king of Eglon, gathered themof the oath which we sware unto them. selves together, and went up, they and all
21. And the princes said unto them, Let their hosts, and encamped before Gibeon, them live; but let them be hewers of wood and made war against it. and drawers of water unto all the congrega- 6. And the men of Gibeon sent unto Jotion; as the princes had promised them. shua to the camp at Gilgal, saying, Slack
22. And Joshua called for them, and he not thy hand from thy servants; come up spake unto them, saying, Wherefore have to us quickly, and save us, and help us : for ye beguiled us, saying, We are very far || all the kings of the Amorites that dwell in the from you ; when ye dwell among us? mountains are gathered together against us.
23. Now therefore ye are cursed; and 7. So Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he, there shall none of you be freed from being and all the people of war with him, and all bondmen, and hewers of wood and drawn the mighty men of valour. ers of water for the house of
God. 8. And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear 24. And they answered Joshua, and said, them not; for I have delivered them into Because it was certainly told thy servants, thine hand: there shall not a man of them how that the LORD thy God commanded stand before thee. his servant Moses to give you all the land, 9. Joshua therefore came unto them sudand to destroy all the inhabitants of the land l denly, and went up from Gilgal all night.
10. And the LORD discomfited them before 24. And it came to pass, when they Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter brought out those kings unto Joshua, that at Gibeon, and chased them along the way Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and that goeth up to Beth-horon, and smote said unto the captains of the men of war them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah. which went with him, Come near, put your
11. And it came to pass, as they fled from feet upon the necks of these kings. And before Israel, and were in the going down they came near, and put their feet upon the to Beth-horon, that the LORD cast down necks of them. great stones from heaven upon them unto 25. And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, Azekah, and they died: they were more which nor be dismayed, be strong and of good died with hailstones than they whom the courage: for thus shall the LORD do to all children of Israel slew with the sword. your enemies against whom ye fight.
12. Then spake Joshua to the Lord in 26. And afterward Joshua smote them, the day when the Lord delivered up the and slew them, and hanged them on five Amorites before the children of Israel, and trees: and they were hanged upon the trees he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand until the evening. thou still upon Gibeon ; and thou, Moon, in 27. And it came to pass at the time of the the valley of Ajalon.
going down of the sun, that Joshua command13. And the sun stood still, and the mooned, and they took them down off the trees, stayed, until the people had avenged them and cast them into the cave wherein they had selves upon their enemies. Is not this writ- been hid, and laid great stones in the cave's ten in the book of Jasher ? So the sun mouth, which remain until this very day. stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted 28. And that day Joshua took' Makke. not to go down about a whole day.
dah, and smote it with the edge of the 14. And there was no day like that before sword, and the king thereof he utterly deit or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto stroyed, them, and all the souls that were the voice of a . man: for the LORD fought therein; he let none remain: and he did to for Israel.
the king of Makkedah as he did unto the 15. And Joshua returned, and all Israel king of Jericho. with him, unto the camp to Gilgal.
29. Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, 16. But these five kings fled, and hid them- and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and selves in a cave at Makkedah.
fought against Libnah: 17. And it was told Joshua, saying, The 30. And the Lord delivered it also, and five kings are found hid in a cave at Mak- | the king thereof, into the hand of Israel; and kedah.
he smote it with the edge of the sword, and 18. And Joshua said, Roll great stones all the souls that were therein; he let none upon the mouth of the cave, and set men by remain in it; but did unto the king thereof it for to keep them:
as he did unto the king of Jericho. 19. And stay you not, but pursue after 31. And Joshua passed from Libnah, and your enemies, and smite the hindmost of all Israel with him, unto Lachish, and enthem; suffer them not to enter into their camped against it, and fought against it: cities: for the LORD your God hath deliver- 32. And the LORD delivered Lachish ined them into your hand.
to the hand of Israel, which took it on the 20. And it came to pass, when Joshua and second day, and smote it with the edge of the children of Israel had made an end of the sword, and all the souls that were thereslaying them with a very great slaughter, in, according to all that he had done to Libtill they were consumed, that the rest which nah. remained of them entered into fenced cities. 33. Then Horam king of Gezer came up
21. And all the people returned to the to help Lachish; and Joshua smote him and camp to Joshua at Makkedah in peace: his people, until he had left him none renone moved his tongue against any of the maining. children of Israel.
34. And from Lachish Joshua passed unto 22. Then said Joshua, Open the mouth Eglon, and all Israel with him; and they of the cave, and bring out those five kings encamped against it, and fought against it: unto me out of the cave.
35. And they took it on that day, and smote 23. And they did so, and brought forth it with the edge of the sword; and all the those five kings unto him out of the cave, souls that were therein be utterly destroyed the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, that day, according to all that he had done the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, to Lachish. and the king of Eglon.
36. And Joshua went up from Eglon, and
all Israel with him, unto Hebron; and they horses, and burn their chariots with fire. fought against it :
7. So Joshua came, and all the people of 37. And they took it, and smote it with war with him, against them by the waters the edge of the sword, and the king thereof, of Merom suddenly; and they fell upon and all the cities thereof, and all the souls them. that were therein; he left none remaining, 8. And the LORD delivered them into the according to all that he had done to Eglon; hand of Israel, who smote them, and chased but destroyed it utterly, and all the souls that them unto great Zidon,and unto Misrephothwere therein.
maim, and unto the valley of Mizpeh east38. And Joshua returned, and all Israel ward; and they smote them, until they left with him, to Debir, and fought against it: them none remaining.
39. And he took it, and the king thereof, 9. And Joshua did unto them as the LORD and all the cities thereof; and they smote bade him: he houghed their horses, and them with the edge of the sword, and utterly burnt their chariots with fire. destroyed all the souls that were therein; he 10. And Joshua at that time turned back, left none remaining: as he had done to He- and took Hazor, and smote the king therebron, so he did to Debir, and to the king of with the sword: for Hazor beforetime thereof; as he had done also to Libnah, and was the head of all those kingdoms. to her king.
11. And they smote all the souls that 40. So Joshua smote all the country of were therein with the edge of the sword, the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, utterly destroying them : there was not any and of the springs, and all their kings: he left to breathe: and he burnt Hazor with left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all fire. that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel 12. And all the cities of those kings, and commanded.
all the kings of them, did Joshua take, and 41. And Joshua smote them from Kadesh- smote them with the edge of the sword; barnea even unto Gaza, and all the country and he utterly destroyed them, as Moses the of Goshen even unto Gibeon.
servant of the Lord commanded. 42. And all these kings and their land did 13. But as for the cities that stood still in Joshua take at one time, because the LORD their strength, Israel burned none of them, God of Israel fought for Israel.
save Hazor only; that did Joshua burn. 43. And Joshua returned, and all Israel 14. And all the spoil of these cities, and with him, unto the camp to Gilgal. the cattle, the children of Israel took for a CHAP. XI.
prey unto themselves; but every man they Divers kings overcome at the waters of Merom. smote with the edge of the sword, until they 1.
of had , that he sent to Jobab king of Madon, and 15. As the LORD commanded Moses his to the king of Shimron, and to the king of servant, so did Moses command Joshua, Achshaph,
and so did Joshua; he left nothing undone 2. And to the kings that were on the north of all that the Lord commanded Moses. of the mountains, and of the plains south 16. So Joshua took all that land, the of Chinneroth, and in the valley, and in the bills, and all the south country, and all the borders of Dor on the west,
land of Goshen, and the valley, and the plain, 3. And to the Canaanite on the east and and the mountain of Israel, and the valley of on the west, and to the Amorite, and the the same; Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Jebusite 17. Even from the mount Halak, that go in the mountains, and to the Hivite under eth up to Seir, unto Baal-gad, in the valley Hermon, in the land of Mizpeh.
of Lebanon, unto mount Hermon: and all 4. And they went out, they and all their their kings he took, and smote them, and slew hosts with them, much people, even as the them. sand that is upon the sea-shore in multi- 18. Joshua made war a long time with tude, with horses and chariots very many.
all those kings. 5 And when all these kings were met to- 19. There was not a city that made gether, they came and pitched together at peace with the children of Israel, save the the waters of Merom, to fight against Israel. Hivites, the inhabitants of Gibeon: all other
6. And the LORD said unto Joshua, Be they took in battle. not afraid because of them: for to-morrow 20. For it was of the LORD to harden their about this time will I deliver them up all hearts, that they should come against Israel slain before Israel: thou shalt hough their l in battle, that he might destroy them utterly,
ANP it came to pass when Jabinking baca destroyed them, neither left they any to
and that they might have no favour, but that the wilderness, and in the south country; he might destroy them, as the LORD com- the Hittites, the Amorites, and the Canaanmanded Moses.
ites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Je21. And at that time came Joshua, and busites : cut off the Anakims from the mountains, 9. The king of Jericho, one; the king of from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and Ai, which is beside Beth-el, one; from all the mountains of Judah, and from 10. The king of Jerusalem, one; the king all the mountains of Israel: Joshua destroy of Hebron, one ; ed them utterly with their cities.
11. The king of Jarmuth, one; the king 22. There was none of the Anakims left of Lachish, one ; in the land of the children of Israel : only 12. The king of Eglon, one; the king of in Gaza, in Gath, and in Ashdod, there re- Gezer, one; mained.
13. The king of Debir, one; the king of 23. So Joshua took the whole land, accord-Geder, one; ing to all that the LORD said unto Moses; 14. The king of Hormah, one; the king and Joshua gave it for an inheritance unto of Arad, one; Israel, according to their divisions by their 15. The king of Libnah, one; the king of tribes. And the land rested from war. Adullam, one; CHAP. XII.
16. The king of Makkedah, one; the king The one and thirty kings on the other side Jordan which of Beth-el, one;
Joshua smote. 1.
17. The king of Tappuah, one ; the king OW these are the kings of the land, Now which the children of Israel smote,
of Hepher, one; and possessed their land on the other side
18. The king of Aphek, one; the king Jordan, toward the rising of the sun; from of Lasharon, one; the river Arnon unto mount Hermon, and
19. The king of Madon, one; the king all the plain on the east:
of Hazor, one; 2. Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt
20. The king of Shimron-meron, one; in Heshbon, and ruled from Aroer, which is the king of Achshaph, one; upon the bank of the river Arnon, and from
21. The king of Taanach, one; the king the middle of the river, and from half Gile- of Megiddo, one; ad, even unto the river Jabbok, which is the
22. The king of Kedesh, one; the king border of the children of Ammon;
of Jokneam of Carmel, one; 3. And from the plain to the sea of Chin
23. The king of Dor in the coast of Dor, neroth on the east, and unto the sea of the one; the king of the nations of Gilgal, one; plain, even the salt sea on the east, the
24. The king of Tirzah, one: All the kings
way to Beth-jeshimoth; and from the south, un thirty and one.
CHAP. XIII. der Ashdoth-pisgah:
2 The bounds of the land not yet conquered. 22 Balaam 4. And the coast of Og king of Bashan,
1. TOW dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,
years; and the LORD said unto him 5. And reigned in mount Hermon, and in Thou art old and stricken in years, and there Salcah, and in all Bashan, unto the border remaineth yet very much land to be posof the Geshurites, and the Maachathites, sessed. and half Gilead, the border of Sihon king of 2. This is the land that yet remaineth: all Heshbon.
the borders of the Philistines, and all Geshuri, 6. Them did Moses the servant of the 3. From Sihor, which is before Egypt, LORD and the children of Israel smite: and even unto the borders of Ekron northward, Moses the servant of the LORD gave it for which is counted to the Canaanite: five lords a possession unto the Reubenites, and Gad- of the Philistines; the Gazathites, and the ites, and the half tribe of Manasseh. Ashdothites, the Eshkalonites, the Gittites,
7. And these are the kings of the coun- and the Ekronites; also the Avites: try which Joshua and the children of Israel 4. From the south, all the land of the Casmote on this side Jordan on the west, from naanites, and Mearah that is beside the Baal-gad in the valley of Lebanon even Sidonians, unto Aphek, to the borders of unto the mount Halak, that goeth up to the Amorites: Seir; which Joshua gave unto the tribes of 5. And the land of the Giblites, and all Israel for a possession, according to their Lebanon, toward the sun-rising, from Baaldivisions:
gad under mount Hermon unto the entering 8. In the mountains, and in the valleys, into Hamath: and in the plains, and in the springs, and in 6. All the inhabitants of the hill country,