« ПредишнаНапред »
ing, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, the LORD your God, and the priests the Le- and were cut off: and the people passed vites bearing it, then ye shall remove from over right against Jericho. your place, and go after it.
17. And the priests that bare the ark of 4. Yet there shall be a space between the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry you and it, about two thousand cubits by ground in the midst of Jordan; and all the measure: come not near unto it, that ye Israelites passed over on dry ground, until may know the way by which ye must go: all the people were passed clean over Jordan. for ye have not passed this way heretofore.
CHAP. IV. 5. And Joshua said unto the people, Sanc- Twelve men are appointed to take twelve stones for a memotify yourselves: for to-morrow, the LORD
rial oul of Jordan. will do wonders among you.
1. ND it came to pass, when all the peo6. And Joshua spake unto the priests, say. ple were clean passed over Jordan, ing, Take up the ark of the covenant, and that the Lord spake unto Joshua, saying, pass over before the people. And they took 2. Take you twelve men out of the people, up the ark of the covenant, and went before out of every tribe a man, the people.
3. And command you them, saying, Take 7. And the LORD said unto Joshua, This you hence out of the midst of Jordan, out day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of the place where the priests' feet stood firm, of all Israel, that they may know that, as 1 twelve stones; and ye shall carry them over was with Moses, so I will be with thee. with you, and leave them in the lodging
8. And thou shalt command the priests place where you shall lodge this night. that bear the ark of the covenant, saying,
4. Then Joshua called the twelve men When ye are come to the brink of the water whom he had prepared of the children of of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan. Israel, out of every tribe a man:
9. And Joshua said unto the children of 5. And Joshua said unto them, Pass over Israel, Come hither, and hear the words before the ark of the LORD your God into of the Lord your God.
the midst of Jordan, and take ye up every 10. And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall man of you a stone upon his shoulder, acknow that the living God is among you, and cording unto the number of the tribes of the that he will without fail drive out from be- children of Israel : fore you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and 6. That this may be a sign among you, the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Gir- | that when your children ask their fathers in gashites, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites. time to come, saying, What mean you by
11. Behold, the ark of the covenant of the these stones? Lord of all the earth passeth over before 7. Then ye shall answer them, That the you into Jordan.
waters of Jordan were cut off before the ark 12. Now therefore take ye twelve men of the covenant of the LORD; when it passout of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe ed over Jordan, the waters of Jordan were
cut off : and these stones shall be for a me13. And it shall come to pass, as soon as morial unto the children of Israel for ever. the soles of the feet of the priests that bear 8. And the children of Israel did so as the ark of the LORD, the Lord of all the Joshua commanded, and took up twelve earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that stones out of the midst of Jordan, as the LORD the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from spake unto Joshua, according to the number the waters that come down from above; and of the tribes of the children of Israel, and they shall stand upon a heap.
carried them over with them unto the place 14. 1 And it came to pass, when the peo- where they lodged, and laid them down there. ple removed from their tents, to pass over 9. And Joshua set up twelve stones in the Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of midst of Jordan, in the place where the feet the covenant before the people;
of the priests which bare the ark of the cove15. And as they that bare the ark were nant stood: and they are there unto this day. come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests 10. For the priest which bare the' ark that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of stood in the midst of Jordan, until every the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his thing was finished that the LORD commandbanks all the time of harvest,)
ed Joshua to speak unto the people, accord*16. That the waters which came downing to all that Moses commanded Joshua : from above stood and rose up upon a heap and the people hasted and passed over. very far from the city Adam, that is beside 11. And it came to pass, when all the Zaretan: and those that came down toward Il people were clean passed over, that the ark
of the LORD passed over, and the priests, in that their heart 'melted, neither was there the presence of the people.
spirit in them any more, because of the 12. And the children of Reuben, and the children of Israel. children of Gad, and half the tribe of Ma- 2. At that time the LORD said unto Joshua, nasseh, passed over armed before the chil. Make thee sharp knives, and circumcise dren of Israel, as Moses spake unto them: again the children of Israel the second time.
13. About forty thousand prepared for 3. And Joshua made him sharp knives, war passed over before the LORD unto bat- and circumcised the children of Israel at the tle, to the plains of Jericho.
hill of the foreskins. 14. On that day the LORD magnified Jo- 4. And this is the cause why Joshua did shua in the sight of all Israel ; and they circumcise: all the people that came out of feared him, as they feared Moses, all the Egypt, that were males, even all the men of days of his life.
war, died in the wilderness by the way, af 15. And the LORD spake unto Joshua, ter they came out of Egypt. saying,
16. Command the priests that bear the circumcised: but all the people that were born ark of the testimony, that they come up in the wilderness by the way as they came out of Jordan.
forth out of Egypt, them they had not cir17. Joshua therefore commanded the cumcised. priests, saying, Come ye up out of Jordan. 6. For the children of Israel walked forty
18. And it came to pass, when the priests years in the wilderness, till all the people that that bare the ark of the covenant of the were men of war, which came out of Egypt, LORD were come up out of the midst of were consumed, because they obeyed not Jordan, and the soles of the priests' feet the voice of the LORD: unto whom the were lifted up unto the dry land, that the LORD sware that he would not show them waters of Jordan returned unto their place, the land which the LORD sware unto their and flowed over all his banks, as they did fathers that he would give us, a land that before.
floweth with milk and honey. 19. And the people came up out of Jor- 7. And their children, whom he raised up dan on the tenth day of the first month, and in their stead, them Joshua circumcised : for encamped in Gilgal, in the east border of they were uncircumcised, because they had Jericho.
not circumcised them by the way. 20. And those twelve stones, which they 8. And it came to pass, when they had took out of Jordan, did Joshua pitch in Gilgal. done circumcising all the people, that they
21. And he spake unto the children of Is. abode in their places in the camp till they rael, saying, When your children shall ask were whole. their fathers in time to come, saying, What 9. And the LORD said unto Joshua, This mean these stones ?
day have I rolled away the reproach of 22. Then ye shall let your children know, Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name saying, Israel came over this Jordan on dry of the place is called Gilgal unto this day. land.
10. And the children of Israel encamped 23. For the LORD your God dried up the in Gilgal, and kept the passover on the fourwaters of Jordan froin before you, until yeteenth day of the month, at even, in the were passed over, as the LORD your God plains of Jericho. did to the Red Sea, which he dried up from 11. And they did eat of the old corn of before us, until we were gone over :
the land, on the morrow after the passover, 24. That all the people of the earth might unleavened cakes and parched corn in the know the hand of the LORD, that it is self-same day. mighty; that ye might fear the LORD your 12. And the manna ceased on the mora God for ever.
row after they had eaten of the old corn of CHAP. V.
the land ; neither had the children of Israel 2 Joshua reneweth circumcision. 10 The passover is kept manna any more; but they did eat of the at Gilgal. 12 Manna ceaseth.
fruit of the land of Canaan that year. 1. ND it came to pass, when all the 13. 1 And it came to pass, when Joshua kings of the Amorites, which were was by Jericho, that he lifted
his eyes and on the side of Jordan westward, and all looked, and behold, there stood a man over the kings of the Canaanites, which were by against him with his sword drawn in his the sea, heard that the Lord had dried up hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said the waters of Jordan from before the chil. unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adverdren of Israel, until we were passed over, ll saries ?
14. And he said, Nay; but as captain of 12. And Joshua rose early in the morn the host of the Lord am I now come. And ing, and the priests took up the ark of the Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did LORD. worship, and said unto him, What saith
my 13. And seven priests, bearing seven LORD unto his servant?
trumpets of rams' horns before the ark of 15. And the captain of the Lord's host the LORD, went on continually, and blew said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off with the trumpets: and the armed men thy foot; for the place whereon thou stand- went before them; but the rearward came est is holy. And Joshua did so.
after the ark of the LORD, the priests going CHAP. VI.
on, and blowing with the trumpets.
14. And the second day they compassed 1 Jericho is shut up. God instructeth Joshua how to besiege it. 22 Rahab is saved.
the city once, and returned into the camp: NBA
W Jericho was straitly shut up, so they did six days.
because of the children of Israel: 15. And it came to pass on the seventh none went out, and none came in.
day, that they rose early about the dawning 2. And the Lord said unto Joshua, See, of the day, and compassed the city after the I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the same manner seven times: only on that day king thereof, and the mighty men of valour. they compassed the city seven times.
3. And ye shall compass the city, all ye 16. And it came to pass at the seventh men of war, and go round about the city time, when the priests blew with the trumonce. Thus shalt thou do six days. pets, Joshua said unto the people, Shout; for
4. And seven priests shall bear before the Lord hath given you the city. the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns : and 17. And the city shall be accursed, even the seventh day ye shall compass the city it and all that are therein, to the LORD: seven times, and the priests shall blow with only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all the trumpets.
that are with her in the house, because she 5. And it shall come to pass, that when hid the messengers that we sent. they make a long blast with the rams' horns, 18. And you, in any wise keep yourselves and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, from the accursed thing, lest ye make yourall the people shall shout with a great shout; selves accursed, when ye take of the accursand the wall of the city shall fall down flat,ed thing, and make the camp of Israel a and the people shall ascend up, every man curse, and trouble it. straight before him.
19. But all the silver, and gold, and ves6. And Joshua the son of Nun called sels of brass and iron, are consecrated unto the priests, and said unto them, Take up the Lord: they shall come into the treasury the ark of the covenant, and let seven of the LORD. priests bear seven trumpets of rams' horns 20. So the people shouted when the priests before the ark of the Lord.
blew with the trumpets: and it came to 7. And he said unto the people, Pass on, pass, when the people heard the sound of and compass the city, and let him that is the trumpet, and the people shouted with a armed pass on before the ark of the Lord. great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so
8. And it came to pass, when Joshua had that the people went up into the city, every spoken unto the people, that the seven man straight before him, and they took the priests bearing the seven trumpets of rams' city: horns passed on before the Lord, and blew 21. And they utterly destroyed all that with the trumpets; and the ark of the cove- was in the city, both man and woman, young nant of the Lord followed them.
and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with 9. And the armed men went before the the edge of the sword. priests that blew with the trumpets, and 22. But Joshua had said unto the two the rearward came after the ark, the priests men that had spied out the country, Go into going on, and blowing with the trumpets. the harlot's house, and bring out thence the
10. And Joshua had commanded the peo- woman, and all that she hath, as ye sware ple, saying, Ye shall not shout nor make unto her. any noise with your voice, neither shall any 23. And the young men that were spies word proceed out of your mouth, until the went in, and brought out Rahab, and her day I bid you shout; then shall ye shout. father, and her mother, and her brethren, and
11. So the ark of the LORD compassed all that she had; and they brought out all the city, going about it once: and they her kindred, and left them without the camp came into the camp, and lodged in the of Israel. camp.
24. And they burnt the city with fire, and all that was therein: only the silver, and the || bitants of the land shall hear of it, and shall. gold, and the vessels of brass and of iron, environ us around, and cut off our name they put into the treasury of the house of from the earth: and what wilt thou do unto the LORD.
thy great name? 25. And Joshua saved Rahab the harlot 10. And the LORD said unto Joshua, alive, and her father's household, and all Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon that she had; and she dwelleth in Israel even thy face? unto this day; because she hid the messen- 11. Israel hath sinned, and they have also gers which Joshua sent to spy out Jericho. transgressed my covenant which I com
26. And Joshua adjured them at that time, manded them: for they have even taken of saying, Cursed be the man before the LORD the accursed thing, and have also stolen, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho: and dissembled also, and they have put it he shall lay the foundation thereof in his first- even among their own stuff
. born, and in his youngest son shall he set up 12. Therefore the children of Israel could the gates of it.
not stand before their enemies, but turned 27. So the LORD was with Joshua ; and their backs before their enemies, because his fame was noised throughout all the they were accursed: neither will í be with country.
you any more, except ye destroy the accursCHAP. VII.
ed from anong you. 5 The Israelites are smitten at Ai. 6 Joshua's complaint. 13. Up, sanctify the people, and say, 1. RUT the children of Israel committed Sanctisy yourselves against to-morrow: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Žabdi, an accursed thing in the midst of thee, O Isthe son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took rael: thou canst not stand before thine eneof the accursed thing: and the anger of the mies, until ye take away the accursed thing LORD was kindled against the children of from among you. Israel.
14. In the morning therefore ye shall be 2. And Joshua sent men from Jericho to brought according to your tribes : and it Ai, which is beside Beth-aven, on the east shall be, that the tribe which the LORD side of Beth-el, and spake unto them, say. taketh shall come according to the families ing, Go up and view the country. And the thereof;" and the family which the Lord men went up and viewed Ai.
shall take shall come by households; and 3. And they returned to Joshua, and said the households which the LORD shall take unto him, Let not all the people go up; but shall come man by man. let about two or three thousand men go up 15. And it shall be, that he that is taken and smite Ai; and make not all the people with the accursed thing shall be burnt with to labour thither; for they are but few. fire, he and all that he hath; because he
4. So there went up thither of the people hath transgressed the covenant of the LORD, about three thousand men: and they fled and because he hath wrought folly in Israel. before the men of Ai.
16. So Joshua rose up early in the morn5. And the men of Ai smote of them ing, and brought Israel by their tribes; and about thirty and six men: for they chased the tribe of Judah was taken: them from before the gate even unto Sheba- 17. And he brought the family of Judah; rim, and smote them in the going down; and he took the family of the Zarhites: and wherefore the hearts of the people melted, he brought the family of the Zarhites man and became as water.
by man; and Zabdi was taken: 6. And Joshua rent his clothes, and fell 18. And he brought his household man to the earth upon his face before the ark of by man; and Achan, the son of Carmi, the the LORD, until the even-tide, he and the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe elders of Israel, and put dust upon their of Judah, was taken. heads.
19. And Joshua said unto Achan, My 7. And Joshua said, Alas! O Lord God, son, give, I pray thee, glory to the LORD God wherefore hast thou at all brought this peo- of Israel, and make confession unto him; ple over Jordan, to deliver us into the hand and tell me now what thou hast done; hide of the Amorites, to destroy us? Would to it not from me. God we had been content, and dwelt on 20. And Achan answered Joshua, and the other side Jordan!
said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD 8. O LORD, what shall I say, when Israel God of Israel, and thus and thus have I turneth their backs before their enemies ! done:
9. For the Canaanites, and all the inha- 21. When I saw anong the spoils a
goodly Babylonish garment, and two hun- | they will say, They flee before us, as at the dred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold first : therefore we will flee before them. of fifty shekels weight, then I coveted them, 7. Then ye shall rise up from the amand took them; and, behold, they are hid in bush, and seize upon the city: for the LORD the earth in the midst of my tent, and the sil- your God will deliver it into your hand. ver under it.
8. And it shall be, when ye have taken 22. So Joshua sent messengers, and they the city, that ye shall set the city on fire: ran unto the tent; and, behold, it was hid according to the commandment of the LORD in his tent, and the silver under it.
shall ye do. See, I have commanded you. 23. And they took them out of the midst 9. Joshua therefore sent them forth : and of the tent, and brought them unto Joshua, they went to lie in ambush, and abode beand unto all the children of Israel, and laid tween Beth-el and Ai, on the west side of them out before the LORD.
Ai: but Joshua lodged that night among 24. And Joshua, and all Israel with him, the people. took Achan, the son of Zerah, and the sil- 10. And Joshua rose up early in the ver, and the garment, and the wedge of morning, and numbered the people, and gold, and his sons, and his daughters, and went up, he and the elders of Israel, before his oxen, and his asses, and his sheep, and the people to Ai. his tent, and all that he had: and they ii. And all the people, even the people of brought them unto the valley of Achor. war that were with him, went up, and drew
25. And Joshua said, Why hast thou nigh, and came before the city, and pitched troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee on the north side of Ai: now there was a this day. And all Israel stoned him with valley between them and Ai. stones, and burned them with fire after they 12. And he took about five thousand had stoned them with stones.
men, and set them to lie in ambush between 26. And they raised over him a great Beth-el and Ai, on the west side of the city. heap of stones unto this day. So the LORD 13. And when they had set the people, turned from the fierceness of his anger. even all the host that was on the north of Wherefore the name of that place was call the city, and their liers in wait on the west ed, The valley of Achor, unto this day. of the city, Joshua went that night into the CHAP. VIII.
midst of the valley.
14. And it came to pass, when the king 1 God encourageth Joshua. 3 The stratagem whereby Ai
was taken. 30 Joshua buildeth an altar, 34 propoundeth of Ai saw it, that they hasted and rose up blessings and cursings.
early, and the men of the city went out 1. ND the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear against Israel to battle, he and all his peo
not, neither be thou dismayed: take all ple, at a time appointed, before the plain ; the people of war with thee, and' arise, go but he wist not that there were liers in amup to Ai: see, I have given into thy hand bush against him benind the city. the king of Ai, and his people, and his city, 15. And Joshua and all Israel made as and his land.
if they were beaten before them, and fled 2. And thou shalt do to Ai and her king by the way of the wilderness. as thou didst unto Jericho and her king: 16. And all the people that were in Ai only the spoil thereof, and the cattle thereof, were called together to pursue after them : shall ye take for a prey unto yourselves: and they pursued after Joshua, and were lay thee an ambush for the city behind it. drawn away from the city.
3. So Joshua arose, and all the people of 17. And there was not a man left in Ai war, to go up against Ai; and Joshua chose or Beth-el that went not out after Israel : out thirty thousand mighty men of valour, and they left the city open, and pursued afand sent them away by night.
ter Israel. 4. And he commanded them, saying, Be- 18. And the LORD said unto Joshua hold, ye shall lie in wait against the city, Stretch out the spear that is in thy hand toeven behind the city; go not very far from ward Ai; for I will give it into thine hand. the city, but be ye all ready:
And Joshua stretched out the spear that he 5. And I, and all the people that are had in his hand toward the city. with me, will approach unto the city: and 19. And the ambush arose quickly out it shall come to pass, when they come out of their place, and they ran as soon as he against us, as at the first, that we will flee had stretched out his hand; and they enterbefore them,
ed into the city, and took it, and hasted, and 6. (For they will come out after us,) till set the city on fire. we have drawn them from the city : for 20. And when the men of Ai looked be