« ПредишнаНапред »
before I have brought them into the 7. Remember the days of old, consider land which I sware.
the years of many generations: ask thy 22. Moses therefore wrote this song the father, and he will show thee; thy elders, same day, and taught it the children of Israel. || and they will tell thee;
23. And he gave Joshua the son of Nun 8. When the Most High divided to the a charge, and said, Be strong and of a good nations their inheritance, when he separatcourage: for thou shalt bring the children ed the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of of Israel into the land which I sware unto the people according to the nurnber of the them: and I will be with thee.
children of Israel. 24. And it came to pass, when Moses had 9. For the Lord's portion is his people; made an end of writing the words of this Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. law in a book, until they were finished, 10. He found him in a desert land, and
25. That Moses commanded the Levites, in the waste howling wilderness; he led him which bare the ark of the covenant of the about, he instructed him, he kept him as the LORD, saying,
apple of his eye. 26. Take this book of the law, and put it 11. As an eagle stirreth up her nest, flutin the side of the ark of the covenant of the tereth over her young, spreadeth abroad her LORD your God, that it may be there for a wings, taketh them, beareth them on her witness against thee.
wings; 27. For I know thy rebellion, and thy 12. So the LORD alone did lead him, and stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive there was no strange god with him. with you this day ye have been rebellious 13. He made him ride on the high places against the LORD; and how much more of the earth, that he might cat the increase after my death?
of the fields; and he made him to suck ho28. Gather unto me all the elders of your ney out of the rock, and oil out of the flinty tribes, and your officers, that I may speak rock; these words in their ears, and call heaven 14. Butter of kine, and milk of sheep, and earth to record against them.
with fat of lambs, and rams of the breed of 29. For I know that after my death ye Bashan, and goats, with the fat of kidneys will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn of wheat; and thou didst drink the pure aside from the way which I have command- blood of the grape. ed you; and evil will befall you in the latter 15. But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kickdays; because ye will do evil in the sight of ed: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown the LORD, to provoke him to anger through thick, thou art covered with fatness : then the work of your hands.
he forsook God which made him, and light30. And Moses spake in the ears of all ly esteemed the Rock of his salvation. the congregation of Israel the words of this 16. They provoked him to jealousy with song, until they were ended.
strange gods, with abominations provoked CHAP. XXXII.
they him to angelificed I Moses' song, which selteth forth God's mercy and vengeance : 48'God sendelh him up to mount Nebo, to see the God, to gods whom they knew not, to new
17. They sacrificed unto devils, not to landa GYE MIVE ear, O ye heavens, and I will gods that came newly up, whom your fathers
speak; and hear, O earth, the words feared not. of my mouth.
18. Of the Rock that begat thee thou 2. My doctrine shall drop as the rain, art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that my speech shall distil as the dew, as the formed thee. small rain upon the tender herb, and as the 19. And when the Lord saw it, he abshowers upon the grass:
horred them, because of the provoking of his 3. Because I will publish the name of sons, and of his daughters. the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. 20. And he said, I will hide my face from
4. He is the Rock, his work is perfect; for thein, I will see what their end shall be : for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth they are a very froward generation, children and without iniquity, just and right is he. in whom is no faith.
5. They have corrupted themselves; their 21. They have moved me to jealousy spot is not the spot of his children: they are a with that which is not God; they have properverse and crooked generation.
voked me to anger with their vanities : and 6. Do ye thus requite the LORD ? O fool. I will move them to jealousy with those which ish people and unwise! is not he thy father are not a people ; 1 will provoke them to anthat hath bought thee? hath he not made ger with a foolish nation. thee, and established thee?
22. For a fire is kindled in mine anger,
and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall || 40. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and
23. I will heap mischiefs upon them: I mine hand take hold on judgment, I will will spend mine arrows upon them. render vengeance to mine enemies, and will
24. They shall be burnt with hunger, and reward them that hate me. devoured with burning heat, and with bitter 42. I will make mine arrows drunk with destruction: I will also send the teeth of blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and beasts upon them with the poison of serpents that with the blood of the slain and of the of the dust.
captives, from the beginning of revenges up25. The sword without, and terror with on the enemy. in, shall destroy both the young man and 43. Rejoice, Oye nations, with his people; the virgin, the suckling also, with the man for he will avenge the blood of his servants, of gray hairs.
and will render vengeance to his adversaries, 26. I said, I would scatter them into and will be merciful unto his land, and to corners, I would make the remembrance his people. of them to cease from among men:
44. And Moses came and spake all the 27. Were it not that I feared the wrath words of this song in the ears of the peoof the enemy, lest their adversaries should ple, he, and Hoshea the son of Nun. behave themselves strangely, and lest they 45. And Moses made an end of speaking should say, Our hand is high, and the LORD all these words to all Israel: hath not done all this.
46. And he said unto them, Set your hearts 28. For they are a nation void of counsel, unto all the words which I testify among you neither is there any understanding in them. this day, which ye shall command your chil
29. Oh that they were wise, that they dren to observe, to do all the words of this understood this, that they would consider law. their latter end !
47. For it is not a vain thing for you; bet 30. How should one chase a thousand, cause it is your life: and through this thing. and two put ten thousand to flight, except ye shall prolong your days in the land, their Rock had sold them, and the LORD whither ye go over Jordan to possess it. had shut them up?
48. [ And the LORD spake unto Moses 31. For their rock is not as our Rock, that self-same day, saying, even our enemies themselves being judges. 49. Get thee up into this mountain Aba
32. For their vine is of the vine of So- rim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land dom, and of the fields of Gomorrah: their of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and grapes are grapes of gall, their clusters are behold the land of Canaan, which I give bitter:
unto the children of Israel for a possession: 33. Their wine is the poison of dragons, 50. And die in the mount whither thou and the cruel venom of asps.
goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; 34. Is not this laid up in store with me, as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and sealed up among my treasures ? and was gathered unto his people:
35. To me belongeth vengeance, and re- 51. Because ye trespassed against me compense; their foot shall slide in due time: | among the children of Israel at the waters for the day of their calamity is at hand, and of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin, the things that shall come upon them make because ye sanctified me not in the midst haste,
of the children of Israel. 36. For the Lord shall judge his peo- 52. Yet thou shalt see the land before ple, and repent himself for his servants, when thee; but thou shalt not go thither unto the he seeth that their power is gone, and there land which I give the children of Israel, is none shut up or left.
CHAP. XXXIII. 37. And he shall say, Where are their
2 The majesty of God. 6 The blessings of the twelve tribes. gods, their rock in whom they trusted;
26 The excellency of Israel.
|| . ND this , and drank the wine of their drink-offerings? let them rise up and help you, and be your children of Israel before his death. protection.
2. And he said, The LORD came from 39. See now that I, even I, am he, and Sinai, and rose up from Seir unto them; there is no god with me: I kill, and I make he shined forth from mount Paran, and he alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there came with ten thousands of saints: from his any that can deliver out of my hand, . right hand went a fiery law for them.
38. Wlichdid eat the fat of their sacrifices, "A Moses the man of God blessed the
3. Yea, be loved the people : all his saints 18. And of Zebulup he said, Rejoice, are in thy hand: and they sat down at thy Zebulun, m' thy going out; and, Issachar, feet; every one shall receive of thy words. in thy tents.
4. Moses commanded us a law, even the 19. They shall call the people unto the inheritance of the congregation of Jacob. mountain; there they shall offer sacrifices of
5. And he was king in Jeshurun, when righteousness : for they shall suck of the the heads of the people and the tribes of abundance of the seas, and of treasures hid Israel were gathered together.
in the sand 6. Let Reuben live, and not die; and let 20. And of Gad he said, Blessed bc he that not his men be few.
enlargeth Gad: he dwelleth as a lion, and 7. And this is the blessing of Judah : and he teareth the arm with the crown of the head. said, Hear, LORD, the voice of Judah, and 21. And he provided the first part for bring him unto his people: Jet his hands be himself
, because there, in a portion of the sufficient for him; and be thou a help to him lawgiver, was he seated and he came with from his enemies.
the heads of the people, he executed the jus8. And of Levi he said, Let thy Thum- tice of the Lord, and his judgments with mim and thy Urim be with thy holy one, Israel. whom thou didst prove at Massah, and with 22. And of Dan he said, Dan is a lion's whom thou didst strive at the waters of whelp: he shall leap from Bashan. Meribah;
23. And of Naphtali he said, O Naphtali, 9. Who said unto his father and to his satisfied with favour, and full with the blessmother, I have not seen him; neither did he ing of the Lord: possess thou the west and acknowledge his brethren, nor knew his own the south. children: for they have observed thy word, 24. And of Asher he said, Let Asher be and kept thy covenant.
blessed with children; let bim be acceptable 10. They shall teach Jacob thy judgments, to his brethren, and let him dip his foot in oil. and Israel thy law: they shall put incense 25. Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; and before thee, and whole burnt-sacrifice upon as thy days, so shall thy strength be. thine altar.
26. There is none like unto the God of 11. Bless, Lord, his substance, and ac- Jeshurun, who rideth upon the heaven in thy cept the work of his hands : smite through help, and in bis excellency on the sky. the loins of them that rise against him, and 27. The eternal God is thy resuge, and of them that hate him, that they rise not again. underneath are the everlasting arms: and be
12. And of Benjamin he said, The belov- sball thrust out the enemy from before thee; d of the LORD shall dwell in safety by him; and shall say, Destroy them. and the LORD shall cover him all the day '28. Israel then shall dwell in safety alone : long, and he shall dwell between his shoul- the fountain of Jacob shall be upon a land ders.
of corn and wine; also his heavens shall drop 13. And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the down dew. LORD be his land, for the precious things 29, Happy art thou, Israel : who is like of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, coucheth beneath,
the shield of thy help, and who is the sword 14. And for the precious fruits brought of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall forth by the sun, and for the precious things be found liars unto thee: and thou shalt put forth by the moon,
tread upon their high places. I 15. And for the chief things of the ancient
CHAP. XXXIV. mountains, and for the precious things of the r Moses from mount Nebo vieweth the land : 5 He dieth lasting hills,
there : 6 His burial : 1 His age. 16. And for the precious things of the earth 1. and fulness thereof, and for the good will of Moab unto the mountain of Nebo, to him that dwelt in the bush: let the blessing the top of Pisgah, that is over against Jericho. come upon the head of Joseph, and upon And the LORD showed bim all the land of the top of the head of him that was separat- Gilead, unto Dan
,,, ed from his brethren.
2. And: all Naphtali, ;and the land of 17. His glory is like the firstling of his Ephraim, and Manasseh, and all the land of bullock, and his horns are like the horns of Judah, unto the utmost sea, unicorns: with them he shall push the peo- 3. And the south, and the plain of the val. ple together to the ends of the earth: and ley of Jericho, the city of palm-trees, unto they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and Zoar. they are the thousands of Manasseh.. 4. And the LORD said unto him, This is
the land which I sware unto Abraham, unto the days of weeping and mourning for Moses Isaac, and unto Jacob, saying, I will give it were ended. unto thy seed: I have caused thee to see it
9. And Joshua the son of Nun was full with thine eyes, but thou shalt not go of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid over thither.
his hands upon him: and the children of 5. So Moses the servant of the LORD died Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the there in the land of Moab, according to the Lord cominanded Moses. word of the LORD.
10. And there arose not a prophet_since 6. And he buried him in a valley in the in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but knew face to face, no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this 11. In all the signs and the wonders which day.
the LORD sent him to do in the land of 1. And Moses was a hundred and twenty Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, years old when he died: his eye was not dim, and to all his land, nor his natural force abated.
12. And in all that mighty hand, and in 8. And the children of Israel wept for all the great terror which Moses showed in Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days: so l the sight of all Israel.
1 The BOOK of JOSHUA. CHAP. I.
and of a good courage; be not afraid, nei
ther be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy The Lord appointeth Joshua to succeed Moses.
God is with thee whithersoever thou goest. 1. TOW after the death of Moses the 10. Then Joshua commanded the offi
servant of the LORD, it came to cers of the people, saying, pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the 11. Pass through the host, and command son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying, the people, saying, Prepare you victuals; for
2. Moses my servant is dead ; now there within three days ye shall pass over this Jorfore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all dan, to go in to possess the land, which the this people, unto the land which I do give LORD your God giveth you to possess it. to them, even to the children of Israel. 12. And to the Reubenites, and to the
3. Every place that the sole of your foot Gadites, and to half the tribe of Manasseh, shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, spake Joshua, saying, as I said unto Moses.
13. Remember the word which Moses the 4. From the wilderness and this Lebanon, servant of the LORD commanded you, sayeven unto the great river, the river Euphra-ing, The LORD your God hath given you rest, tes, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the and hath given you this land. great sea toward the going down of the sun, 14. Your wives, your little ones, and your shall be your coast.
cattle, shall remain in the land which Mo5. There shall not any man be able to ses gave you on this side Jordan; but ye stand before thee all the days of thy life: as shall pass before your brethren armed, all I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: the mighty men of valour, and help them, I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
15. Until the LORD have given your breth6. Be strong and of a good courage; for ren rest, as he hath given you, and they also unto this people shalt thou divide for an inhe have possessed the land which the LORD ritance the land, which I sware unto their your God giveth them: then ye shall return fathers to give them.
unto the land of your possession, and enjoy · 7. Only be thou strong and very coura- it
, which Moses, the LORD's servant, gave geous, that thou mayest observe to do ac- you on this side Jordan, toward the sun-rising. cording to all the law which Moses my 16. And they answered Joshua, saying, servant commanded thee: turn not from it All that thou commandest us we will do, and to the right hand or to the left, that thou whithersoever thou sendest us we will go. mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 17. According as we hearkened unto Mo
8. This book of the law shall not depart ses in all things, so will we hearken unto out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate thee: only the LORD thy God be with thee, therein day and night, that thou mayest ob-as he was with Moses. serve to do according to all that is written 18. Whosoever he be 'that doth rebel therein : for then thou shalt make thy way against thy commandment, and will not prosperous, and then thou shalt have good hearken unto thy words in all that thou com
mandest him, he shall be put to death: only 9. Have not I commanded thee? Be strong be strong and of a good courage.
14. And the men answered her, Our life Rahab concealeth the two spies sent from Shittim. for yours, if ye utter not this our business. 1.
of Shittim two men to spy secretly, us the land, that we will deal kindly and saying, Go view the land, even Jericho. And truly with thee. they went, and came into a harlot's house, 15. Then she let them down by a cord named Rahab, and lodged there.
through the window: for her house was 2. And it was told the king of Jericho, upon the town wall, and she dwelt upon the saying, Behold, there came men in hither wall. to-night of the children of Israel, to search 16. And she said unto them, Get you to out the country.
the mountain, lest the pursuers meet you ; 3. And the king of Jericho sent unto Ra- and hide yourselves there three days, until hab, saying, Bring forth the men that are the pursuers be returned: and afterward come to thee, which are entered into thine may ye go your way.' house: for they be come to search out all the 17. And the men said unto her, We will country.
be blameless of this thine oath which thou 4. And the woman took the two men, hast made us swear. and hid them, and said thus, There came 18. Behold, when we come into the land, men unto me, but I wist not whence they thou shalt bind this line of scarlet thread in were :
the window which thou didst let us down 5. And it came to pass, about the time of by; and thou shalt bring thy father, and thy shutting of the gate, when it was dark, that mother, and thy brethren, and all thy father's the men went out: whither the men went household, home unto thee. I wot not: pursue after them quickly ; for 19. And it shall be, that whosoever shall ye shall overtake them.
go out of the doors of thy house into the 6. But she had brought them up to the street, bis blood shall be upon his head, and roof of the house, and hid them with the we will be guiltless: and whosoever shall be stalks of flax, which she had laid in order with thee in the house, his blood shall be on upon the roof.
our upon 9. And the men pursued after them the . 20. And if thou utter this our business, way to Jordan, unto the fords: aud as soon then we will be quit of thine oath which as they which pursued after them were gone thou hast made us to swear. out, they shut the gate.
21. And she said, According unto your 8. And before they were laid down, she words so be it. And she sent them away, came up unto them upon the roof;
and they departed: and she bound the 9. And she said unto the men, I know scarlet line in the window. that the LORD hath given you the land, 22. And they went, and came unto the and that your terror is fallen upon us, and mountain, and abode there three days, until that all the inhabitants of the land faint be- the pursuers were returned: And the purcause of you.
suers sought them throughout all the way 10. For we have heard how the LORD but found them not. dried up the water of the Red Sea for you, 23. So the two men returned, and descendwhen ye came out of Egypt; and what ye ed from the mountain, and passed over, and did unto the two kings of the Amorites that came to Joshua the son of Nun, and told were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and him all things that befell them: Og, whom ye utterly destroyed.
24. And they said unto Joshua, Truly 11. And as soon as we had heard these the LORD hath delivered into our hands all things, our hearts did melt, neither did there the land; for even all the inhabitants of the remain any more courage in any man, be- | country do faint because of us. cause of you : for the LORD your God, he
CHAP. III. is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath. 1 Joshua cometh to Jordan. 14 The waters of Jordan are
12. Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the LORD, since I have showed 1. ND Joshua rose early in the mornyou kindness, that ye will also show kind- ing; and they removed from Shitness unto my father's house, and give me a tim, and came to Jordan, he and all the true token:
children, of Israel, and lodged there before 13. And that ye will save alive my father, they passed over. and my mother, and 'my brethren, and my 2. And it came to pass, after three days, sisters, and all that they have, and deliver that the officers went through the host; our lives from death.
3. And they commanded the people, say