Графични страници
PDF файл

Gout " was given for the first time May 17th; Mr. and Mrs. Duff appeared in “The Foundling of the Forest” and “Three Singles " on the 23rd, and the opera of “Don Giovanni

was sung on the 29th. H. J. Conway first acted here June 5th as Beverly in "The Gamester," with Henry Wallack as Lewson and Mrs. Duff as Mrs. Beverly 'Brier Cliff, A Tale of the Revolution," was a drama first seen on any stage June 15; "Julius Cæsar” was played the 26th, with Henry Wallack as Marc Antony; Conway, Brutus; Duff, Cassius; Mrs. Duff, Portia; Mrs. Wallack, Calphurnia, and James M. Scott as Cæsar. John Bernard made his New York début July Ist in "Too Late for Dinner." Joseph M. Field appeared as Young Norval in "Douglas " the 15th. He married Eliza Riddle in 1836.

Thomas Placide first appeared in this theatre July 15, as Andrew Bang in “Love, Law, and Physic,” for Mr. Thayer's benefit. A few seasons later he played at the Park, but only in subordinate parts. His first hit there was Pedro as “Cinderella,” Jan. 24, 1831. He reappeared at the Park in 1834, after having been in Philadelphia one season. He remained at the Park two years, and, after an absence of twelve years, reappeared there Nov. 6, 1848, as Dromio of Ephesus, to his brother's Dromio of Syracuse in “The Comedy of Errors." He was manager of the Varieties Theatre in New Orleans for several years. The season of 1855-6 he was at Wallack's Theatre, and the following season at the Broadway. Placide, with his elder brother, Henry, advanced rapidly to fame. He was known as a prince of good fellows, and a man of honor. At the age of sixty he married Mrs. Davis, who was seventy-two, and who, as Mary Ann McKnight, had rejected him in his youthful days. He withdrew from the stage and made his home at Toms River, New Jersey. Here he seems to have led a happy life until a cancer developed in his mouth, a disease from which his brother Henry had died. He suffered untold agony, and at last planned suicide. His wife's daughter, Mrs. Bliss, and her husband were living with him. He persuaded his wife and Mrs. Bliss to go to New York to attend to some business July 20th, 1877. Just as Mrs. Bliss drove off, an old friend of the actor called at the house. Placide greeted him cordially, but asked to be excused for a moment. His friend saw him go to the carriage house, where he threw himself on a plank, covered his face with a carpet, and shot himself through the right temple. Mrs. Placide lived nearly a year longer, dying April 19 in her 83d year. On June 2, 1899, the old Placide property was sold.

The season at this house closed July 17th, and, after being refurnished and redecorated, the theatre was opened Oct. 9, 1826, with Henry Wallack as manager and J. B. Booth as stage manager. “Speed the Plough ” was the feature of the opening bill, with J. M. Scott, Herbert H. Wallack, Roberts, Blake, Turnbull, Mrs. Lacombe, W. R. Blake, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. H. Wallack, T. Placide, A. Phillips, and A. Simpson in the company. J. B. Booth acted Richard III. the 16th, and Thomas Hamblin appeared as Hamlet Nov. 2nd; Booth was also seen as Othello and Cassius in “ Julius Cæsar,” to Hamblin's Iago and Brutus. Dwyer played Goldfinch in “The Road to Ruin" Dec. 13th, and “Rob Roy" was given 14th, with J. B. Booth in the title rôle. J. J. Adams appeared Dec. 28th as Othello; "Botheration," a farce, was done the 29th. “Scylla was given Jan 15th, 1827, with J. B. Booth as the hero.

Brian Boroihme,” was acted Jan. 22nd; “Flora's Birthday ” March 7th; “The London Hermit” 16th, together with “The Battle of Bothwell Brig." “The Pilot" was given 21st, J. M. Scott appearing as Long Tom Coffin. The season closed abruptly in April, 1827, and Wallack found himself a bankrupt. That was the last fashionable season at the Chatham Theatre. It passed rapidly through the hands of many succeeding managers, most of whom lost money or credit in trying to revive its ancient fortune.

Mr. Megary was the next lessee, opening the house for a brief season June 16th, 1827. William Conway appeared July 8th as Lord Duberly in “The Heir at Law.” J. J. Adams was seen the 12th as Hamlet. Frederick Brown played Macbeth and many other leading characters with considerable success during this season. The house was reopened by Mr. Megary Dec. 3rd, 1827, with Robert Maywood as stage manager.

Charles Weston Taylor first appeared in this city the 22nd, as Somerville in "Turn Out." Thomas Flynn first acted in this city Jan. 31st, 1828, playing Dick Dowlas in “The Heir at Law.” Thomas Walton first acted here June roth, playing Zekiel Homespun in “The Heir at Law.” “The Prodigal Son” was given July 8th; William Duffy made his debut in this city the oth as Colonna in “Evadne.” While manager of the Albany, N. Y., Theatre he was fatally stabbed by John Hamilton, and died March 12th, 1836. “Charlotte Temple was first seen here July uith, and Henry Wallack played Macbeth, with Miss Emery as Lady Macbeth, on the 16th. The season closed in August, but was resumed March 17th, 1828, when Miss Emery, afterwards Mrs. Burroughs, acted Bianca to Crooke's “Fazio.” “Crazy Jane” was given the first time the 28th. Eliza Kinlock, mother of Miss Lane, afterwards Mrs. John Drew, first acted in New York April 17th as Diana Vernon in "Rob Roy. She died at Long Branch, N. J., August ii, 1887, in her ninety

The next managers of the house were Kilner and Maywood, who opened June 9th, with J. M. Scott, Blake, Roberts, Herbert, George Andrews, Thos. Walton, Crooke, Vernon, Stevenson, Charnock, John Fisher, Collingbourne, Quinn, Mesdames Blake, Hughes, Vernon, Turner, Kinlock, Roberts, Amelia Fisher, and

first year.

Miss Kent. T. Abthorpe Cooper, whose popularity was now waning, assumed the management of this theatre Sept. 15, 1828, opening with “The Honeymoon.' Charles Booth Parsons first. appeared in New York at this

theatre September 26th as Paul Jones in The Pilot,” and also in “Valentine and Orson.”

Ann Duff Waring made her first appearance upon the stage Sept. 27, 1828, as Amanthis in “The Child of Nature,” for the benefit of Mr. and Mrs. William Rufus Blake. March 19, 1837, she married William Sefton, brother of John Sefton.

She was the original Mrs. Pontifex in “Naval Engagements" at the National Theatre, Oct. 19, 1838. On Dec. 5 she sang the rôle of Lady Allcash in “Fra Diavolo," with Seguin, Horncastle, Wilson, and Miss Shirreff in the other parts. She was also the original Smike in “Nicholas Nickleby,” first produced at the National, Jan. 25, 1839, five days before its first production at the Park Theatre. Later she sang Zoe in the opera of “Conrad and Medora," Clorinda in “Cinderella,” and Julia in “Guy Mannering." Her husband died in New Orleans about 1839, and two years later she married James W. Wallack, Jr., a son of Henry Wallack and nephew of James W. Wallack, father of Lester Wallack. On the occasion of the 278th anniversary of Shakespeare's birthday, in 1842, she played Romeo, to Melinda Jones' Juliet, in Philadelphia. She went to Europe in May, 1851, and returned to this country in 1855. She retired from the stage and resided with her mother at Long Branch, N. J., where she died Feb. II, 1879.

Mrs. Charles F. McClure appeared Oct. 8th as Lady Amaranth in “Wild Oats.” Mr. Cooper's management and season terminated Nov. ist, 1828. In the company was Julia Turnbull, who had made her professional début in 1826 at the Lafayette Theatre. At six years of age she appeared as the Duke of York in “Richard III.” When Edwin Forrest produced “The Gladiator " at the Park Theatre, Miss Turnbull was the boy. For several years, from the season of 1828-9, she was at the Park Theatre, where she acted Oberon when Tyrone Power produced “O'Flanagan and the Fairies." When Fanny Ellsler appeared at the Park Theatre, Miss Turnbull was one of the principal dancers. She was at the Bowery in 1847 and visited Paris in 1850. Her last appearance in this city was Aug. 2, 1858, in “The Dumb Girl of Genoa,” for the benefit of the American Dramatic Fund. She died in Brooklyn, N. Y., Sept. Iith, 1887.

J. H. Hackett was the next manager of the theatre and christened it “The American Opera House.” His first season opened May 20th, 1829, with “The Rivals" and a farce called "The Agreeable Surprise." In the company were Mr. and Mrs. Ludlow, Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Blake, and other popular players. The season closed July 4th and was resumed July 15th, to close again Sept. ist. George Barrett and C. Young assumed the management Dec. 24, and their season lasted about a fortnight. It was reopened, under the name of Blanchard's Amphitheatre, Jan. 18, 1830.

Maria Ann Mestayer was a member of the company. Equestrian and dramatic performances were given. Mr. S. Phillips was the next manager, opening March 11th, 1831, with “Damon and Pythias," Aug. A. Addams being the Damon and W. R. Blake the Pythias. Dan Marble made his first appearance on the stage at this house April nith, as Robin Roughhead in "Fortune's Frolic,” but was obliged to pay $20 for the privilege of playing.

Charles R. Thorne became manager May 4th, with Wm. Rufus Blake, E. N. Thayer, McKinney, Foot, Hyatt, Mesdames Walstein, Phillips, French, Emily Mestayer, and Ann Waring in his company. William Pelby opened May 9th as Brutus in Payne's tragedy of that name. John J. Adams came the 18th as Hamlet; and “Oswal of Athens was given June 13th. Thomas Hamblin was the next lessee, and John R. Scott, W. J. Walton, Roberts, Dean, J. Woodhull, Sowerby, Mesdames Stone and Dean and Miss Searle were in the company. John Augustus Stone made his debut in New York at this theatre July 6th, as Old Hardy in “The Belle's Stratagem.” Mr. Stone wrote “Metamora" expressly for Edwin Forrest in 1829. He committed suicide by throwing himself from Spruce Street wharf, Schuylkill River, Philadelphia, May 28th, 1834. Forrest, who paid him $500 for writing "Metamora, caused to be erected over his grave a neat monument. Alexander Simpson first acted in New York at this theatre July 26th, as Darby in “ The Poor Soldier." Soon afterwards the house closed its career as a theatre, and was converted into a free Presbyterian chapel.


'HE “Temple of the Drama" known as the “City Theatre "

in was opened by Mrs. Baldwin July 2, 1822. It had no boxes, but a parquet or pit, as it was then called. The stairway and the street entrance were decorated with life-size statues of the muses. The manageress had formerly been a member of the Park Theatre company.

The house had a brief and uneventful career and left no mark on the pages of dramatic history.


ASTLE GARDEN'S connection with the stage practically

there, headed by Charles White, afterwards famous as a minstrel and manager; and associated with him were Billy Whittock, Dan. Gardner, and Barney Williams, famous and fortunate as an Irish comedian French and Heiser opened the Garden as a regular theatre June 28th, with a company which included George Holland, Chas. M. Walcot, Herr John Cline, Miss Clarke, Mrs. W. Isherwood, and others. Herr Cline was a daring and skilful performer on the slack wire, and was a perfect picture of grace and beauty. He died at the Forrest Home, Holmesburg, Pa., Dec. 3, 1886. On Aug. 8, the Havana Opera Company, under the direction of F. Badiali, with L. Arditi as conductor, and Signorina Tedesco as prima donna, began a season which ended on Sept. 17. They alternated with other entertainments, and during that time produced "Ernani,

Ernani,” “Norma," "La Sonnambula," and other operas. The season closed Sept. 26, with a benefit to the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum. Another season began June 5, 1848, with Geo. Holland as the director, and the company included John Nickinson, Baker, Roehr, G. Clark, W. B. Conover, Mrs. Vernon, Miss Pray, Charlotte Nickinson, Mrs. Phillips and the dancers, Mme. Augusta, and Mons. Bouxary. The Havana Opera Troupe began a season June 8, 1850, which lasted until Sept. 7. The company

- one of the strongest that had appeared in this city up to that time - included MM. Marini, Salvi, Lorini, Viett, C. Badiali, Luigi, Colletti, F. Badiali, Mesdames Bosio, Steffanone, Tedesco, Caroline Vietta, and Elisa Costini, with Arditi and Botesini as conductors.

On Sept. 11, 1850, Jenny Lind gave her first concert in America, under the management of P. T. Barnum. The sale of tickets took place on Saturday, Sept. 7, 1850. Genin, the hatter, purchased the first ticket at $225. The proprietors of the Garden saw fit to make the usual charge of one shilling to all persons who entered the premises. Yet 3,000 persons were curious enough to pay that sum for the privilege of seeing a sale by auction. One thousand tickets were sold on the first day and realized $10,141. On the night of the concert the doors were opened at five o'clock. Five thousand persons were present. As Julius Benedict, the conductor, led Jenny Lind towards the footlights, the entire audience rose to their feet and welcomed her with three cheers. The gross receipts from the first concert amounted to $17,864.05, and for the second concert $14, 203.03.

The third concert took place Sept. 17, and the receipts were $12,519. 20. The orchestra consisted of sixty musicians. Of Jenny Lind's half receipts of the first two concerts, she devoted $10,000 to charity in New York, the Widow and Orphans Fund of the Fire Department receiving the largest share, viz., $3,000. The firemen, therefore, to evince their gratitude, held a public meeting, and in a gold box, purchased by subscription for the purpose, conveyed to the singer the resolu

« ПредишнаНапред »