Графични страници
PDF файл

soubrette; Caroline Chapman, leading; Sylvester Bleecker, light comedy, and George Clarke walking gentleman. In July, 1845, this place was reopened, with Barney Williams as manager and Dan Gardner (the circus clown) as stage manager.

In the company were Rosina Gascon, Barney Williams, Billy Whitlock, Miss Emmet, Dan Gardner, Chas. T. White, and Mons. Maillard (pianist). The last season of note was in June, 1846, when an unusually brilliant company was engaged, including Benj. A. Baker (stage manager), Emily Mestayer, Frank Chanfrau, A. W. Fenno, John Nickinson, Mrs. H. Isherwood, Mr. and Mrs. James Dunn, and Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Hamilton. Mr. and Mrs. Harry Chapman (Julia Drake) joined later. For Harry Chapman's benefit “The Poor Soldier" and the farce of “Antony and Cleopatra” were played, and for Benj. A. Baker's benefit the musical comedy “ John of Paris " was given. Quite a number of volunteers from Mitchell's Olympic appeared.

Bradford Jones was the lessee for the season of 1846. In the latter portion of that season Malvina Pray (afterward Mrs. W. J. Florence) also appeared. Pierce's Minstrels opened here April 8, 1850, and this marked Eph Horn's first appearance in New York. June 7, 1852, this place, after having been closed some months, was reopened by William Odell, with a band of minstrels, who performed in the open air. The price of admission was 1272 cents. Aug. 6 Anthony gave a soirée, with a ball, fireworks, and an illumination. Harry Macarthy, an Irish comedian, gave entertainments here, consisting of a species of monologue. On the night of the Astor Place Opera House riot the confusion broke up the performance, and Vauxhall was used as a receiving house for those killed and injured in the riot. During the summer of 1853, Geo. Lea purchased the lease and fixtures from a Mr. Cooper (or Hooper), who kept a hotel at Babylon, L. I. Lea used the premises during the summer as an ice-cream garden, with illuminated colored globes and other attractions. There was a separate entrance to the Garden from the rear street. In the winter the front portion was used for the dispensation of liquors, refreshments, and also as a billiard saloon. A ball was given in the Garden once each week, and the place was a great resort. On Sunday evenings no entertainment of any nature took place during Lea's management, which continued until 1855, when the buildings were torn down for the purpose of rebuilding upon the site.

[merged small][ocr errors]

'HE next place of amusement opened in this city was called

in tween Anthony and Ridge streets. Making a sort of parallelo

It was

gram from the present Grand Street Ferry on the East River straight down Division Street to Chatham Square, then across the square one block to Henry Street, and up Henry Street in a straight line to the East River again, we have a small district or territory which discloses many curious relics of character and incident, not the least interesting of which is the Mount Pitt Circus near the site of the present Grand Street ferry to Williamsburg, and managed by C. M. Sandford. It was, of course, a great novelty in that section of the town, and was for a time quite successful. opened Nov. 8, 1826, was built of wood, with a brick front, and was one of the largest places of amusement in America, capable of seating 3500 persons. It was there, on the original sand banks of the site of the circus, that Richard, or, as he was familiarly known, Dick Sands, threw his first “Aip-flaps.” Mr. Sands was in his day one of the most famous of our circus men. Dan Gard. ner was assistant property man, and Charley White, the "old-time" minstrel, helped him to trim the lamps two or three times, in order to get free admission to the show at night. This place was the beginning of Dan Gardner's circus career, as well as that of Archie Madden, the clown. Sam Tatnall was ringmaster, Charles La Forrest, principal rider, without saddle or bridle; John Whittaker, pad rider; Pat Whittaker, rider and tumbler; Yeamans, rider and rope dancer; Risher, “drunken hussar and dying Moor rider;" Blithe, two-horse rider; Walter Williams, clown; Archie Madden, clown; Mrs. Williams, principal female rider and wire dancer; Mrs. Kent, leading woman; Mrs. La Forrest, chambermaid; Mrs. Yeamans, singer and actress; old Mr. Whittaker, backdoor keeper; Mrs. Tatnall, dancer and actress, and Billy Kelly, boss property man. The circus was destroyed by fire Aug. 5, 1829. It had not been occupied for some time previous, indeed since the passage of the law requiring the payment of $250 as a license fee.


N early years, say 1800, a circus and training ground for race

horses, called the Stadium, was established on the northeast corner of Broadway and Prince Street. The site was a portion of the old Bayard farm, and was purchased by S. Van Rensaelaer for $15,000. Shortly after the war of 1812 the inclosure was used as a drill ground for militia officers. Early in 1823 the Columbian Gardens, devoted to summer-night entertainments, occupied the site, and many singers, dancers, and specialists of that day appeared there. William Niblo took a lease of it, and resolved to convert it into an ornamental garden for the public. Large trees were transplanted from distant woods; choice flowers and plants mingled with rarest exotics; fountains gushed and threw their spray into the sunbeams. In the centre of this garden a neat temple was erected and dedicated to music. The entertainments given consisted of instrumental music and a display of fireworks each evening. On July 4, 1827, the Sans Souci Theatre came into existence on this spot, the manager and proprietor being Mr. Gilfert, and the opening performance consisting of “The Hundred Pound Note." The Bowery Theatre burning down, Mr. Niblo commenced the erection of a theatre, and in fifteen days from the time the foundation was laid a commanding and handsome theatre was actually completed — comprising a spacious stage, a parquet, and two circles of boxes, capable of holding 1,200 persons. In the dramatic company were W. B. Chapman, Anderson, Stone, Geo. Barrett, and Mrs. Jones; Herr Cline the tight-rope dancer also appeared. Mr. and Mrs. Blake acted in the opera “Rosina on Aug. 6. The season terminated on Aug. 19, 1827. George 2 Holland appeared in "Whims of a Comedy.'

2 The following is a copy of one of the programmes of the day:

[ocr errors]



Mr. Walton, Howard, Chapman, Mrs. Lacombe, Mrs. Blake, Mons. Mathis,
Herr Cline, and the Parisian dancers. Tuesday evening, Aug. 19, 1828, will be
presented the opera of “ Rosina.” This is probably the only opportunity which
will ever occur of presenting this popular and admired opera, with decidedly the
strongest cast ever offered in America :
Capt. Belville
Jas. Howard | Irishman

Mr. Belvil
Thomas Walton Rosina

Mrs. Lacombe
W. B. Chapman Phoebe .

Mrs. W. R. Blake Song by Mr. Walton, after which Mons. Mathis will, for the first time, astonish the audience by his surprising and peculiar feats of strength and agility, and now, for the first time in New York, give his imitations of the celebrated Sena Sama. He will also appear as the French Hercules and perform his wonderful seats. Celebrated Indian War Dance by Mr. Schinotti; song, Mr. Howard; Herr Cline on the elastic cord ; duet by Howard and Walton; the Parisian Dancers, Mons. Barbiere, Mme. Labasse, and Mlle. Rosalie, who appear in Trojan Pas de Trois ; the whole to conclude with Mons. Mathis in the comic scene “ The Cobbler upon Stilts Five Feet High.” Prices of admission : Boxes, 50 cts. ; pit, 25 cts. The entrance to the theatre is by the north gate on Broadway.

On May 18, 1829, the "Sans Souci” was converted into a free concert saloon, and opened with a musical festival. Mr. Niblo soon erected a larger and more perfect theatre which he called Niblo's Garden. The stage was 75 ft. wide, 67 ft. deep, and 44 ft. high.

A programme of Niblo's in 1830 shows that the price of admission had been slightly increased. A ticket admitting a gentleman and lady was sold for $1, but single tickets cost 75 cents. Mr.

William Mitchell opened here June 3, 1834, with a large and talented company. Among the productions was “The Revolt of the Harem," with Mmes. Dejardin and Vallee, Miss Partington, Korpony, Mons. Marten, and Mr. Wells in the principal rôles. Mitchell was not successful. During the summer of 1837 a series of concerts were given under the direction of a Mr. Watson, in addition to which the Ravels appeared. This induced the formation of a vaudeville company by Joseph Jefferson and John Sefton. The Campagnologian Bellringers first appeared in America Sept. 12 at this house. The entrance from Broadway to the saloon was covered and the Garden enclosed and made comfortable, and in consequence there was no postponement on account of bad weather. Sept. 14 Clementine De Bar — afterwards Mrs. J. B. Booth, Jr. made her first appearance in New York on the occasion of Mrs. Knight's benefit, playing Rosa in “ John of Paris.” The season closed in the Garden on Sept. 23 with a benefit to Gabriel Ravel. The dramatic season closed Oct. 7. Among that company were J. Jefferson, Thayer, Thomas, Lewellen, Plumer, T. Bishop, Henry J. Sefton, Mrs. Harrison, Mrs. Bailey, Mrs. Knight, Mrs. Maeder, and Alexina Fisher. During that season J. W. Wallack, Jr., appeared.

The house was reopened in the spring of 1838 with concerts, under the direction of Mr. Watson, and a dramatic season was commenced June 11, under the management of John Sefton. The Ravel Family alternated their performances with the dramatic company. The season ended Sept. 21. It was resumed June 5, 1839, with concerts by Mr. and Mrs. Seguin, Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Horn (formerly Miss Horton), T. Bishop, and Mr. Maynard as principals. These concerts were alternated with the performances of the Ravel Family. The dramatic season commenced June 25, with W. E. Burton as the star. Aug. 28 the Ravel Family produced the pantomime of “The Green Monster” for the first time in America. The dramatic season closed Sept. 12, and the Ravels continued their performances somewhat later in the month. Sept. 23, 1839, the National Theatre burning down, the lessee and manager, James W. Wallack, leased Niblo's Garden, and removed his entire company there, opening Oct. 1 with Charles Kean as Richard III., and “Yankee" Hill made his first appearance after his return from Europe. The company engaged was without doubt one of the very best ever seen at that time in America, and consisted of Jas. Browne, Lambert Jamison, Horncastle, Henry Wallack, W. H. Williams, Slater, J. W. Wallack, Jr., A. J. Neafie, Andrews, Powell, Walton, Gilbert, Rogers, Baldock, Bunner, Newton, Bennett, Stuart (call boy), Ferrers (prompter); William Mitchell, stage manager; James Smith, treasurer; James W. Wallack, Sen., manager; Mmes. H. Wallack, Plumer, Bailey, Sefton, Russell, Rogers, Misses Monier and Ayres. The chorus consisted of Thornton, Kavanagh, R. Duggan, Purnell

, Soloman, Coad, Williams, Meyers, Mrs. Coad, Ferrers, Baldock, Everard, Thornton, Burnett, Taylor, Singleton, and Gault. McIntosh was musical director. John Vandenhoff was the next star. He opened as Hamlet to the Queen of Mrs. Wm. Sefton (afterwards Mrs. J. W. Wallack, Jr.) Oct. 2. Charlotte Vandenhoff made her American début, playing Julia in “The Hunchback.” The opera of “Gustavus” was produced here in magnificent style, with Sheriff, Wilson, and Seguin in the cast. Edwin Forrest closed the season Nov. 18 with Macbeth. June 1, 1840, the theatre reopened with the Ravels and a dramatic company under the supervision of W. Chippendale, W. E. Burton, J. S. Browne, Mrs. Fitzwilliam, and Sidney Ranger playing star engagements, and the season closed Oct. 7. May 31, 1841, a dramatic term, under the management of W. H. Chippendale, was commenced.

Mr. Chippendale's American début occurred Sept. I, 1836, at the old Park Theatre, as Sir Mark Chase in "A Roland for an Oliver.” For many years he remained at the Park, playing an extensive round of important characters. In 1842 he managed Niblo's Garden; in 1850 he was at Brougham's Lyceum (Broadway and Broome Street). He returned to England in 1853. At the beginnivg of Mr. Irving's season, 1878-9, at the Lyceum Theatre, London, Eng., Mr. Chippendale played Polonius in the revival of “Hamlet.” Feb. 24, 1879, he took his farewell of the stage at the same theatre in the same character (Irving acting Hamlet), the total receipts of the evening's performance, through Mr. Irving's generosity, being reserved to the veteran actor, who spoke a few words of farewell at the end of the play. It may be interesting to note that in the course of his long career Mr. Chippendale had, in the character of Polonius, supported Edmund Kean, Charles Kemble, Charles Young, Harry Johnson, Macready, John Vandenhoff, Charles Kean, Barry Sullivan, Edwin Forrest, Booth, Creswick and Henry Irving. While at the Haymarket Mr. Chippendale married Miss Snowdon, a member of the company. She afterwards starred in England and Australia, and came to America with Henry Irving's company for the "first old woman. Mr. Chippen dale died in England Jan. 5, 1888, at the age of eighty-seven. Herr Cline, tight-rope performer, began an engagement July 3, 1841. Jane Sloman first appeared in a series of piano-forte recitals July 14

John Baldwin Buckstone and Mrs. Fitzwilliam made their joint début Sept. 15.

Mr. Buckstone's first appearance in America was Dec. 8, 1840, at the National, Leonard and Church streets, he having been especially engaged by Manager Alex. Wilson to play in farces. After a starring tour, Buckstone and Mrs. Fitzwilliam

« ПредишнаНапред »